Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Changing tools from 115v to 230v...need switch

I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

TIA,
Karl

Posted to rec.woodworking

Karl wrote:
I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

TIA,
Karl

Didn't check the prices but these are usually pretty cheap.

http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/motorstarternpb.pdf

It's possible that you can use the one's you have if they are DPDT
(double pole double throw) as the amperage will be 1/2 of the 110 draw
when you switch to 220.

Of course a better alternative is a motor starter which will provide
some protection for the operator and the motor.

Good luck

Posted to rec.woodworking

A.M. Wood wrote:
Karl wrote:
I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

TIA,
Karl

Didn't check the prices but these are usually pretty cheap.

http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/motorstarternpb.pdf

It's possible that you can use the one's you have if they are DPST
(double pole single throw) as the amperage will be 1/2 of the 110 draw
when you switch to 220.

Of course a better alternative is a motor starter which will provide
some protection for the operator and the motor.

Good luck

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:34:38 -0500, Karl wrote:

I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

Very often when a manufacturer builds a tool and installs a dual
voltage motor, they install a DPST switch (as the other responder
mentioned) and switch both the hot and the neutral when the motor is
wired for 120V. If that is the case, you will only need to change the
jumpers at the motor and change the plug on the end of the cord, as
the switch will automatically break both hots when the motor is wired
for 240V.

The switch doesn't need to be rated higher than 125V because no
contact ever switches more than 125V regardless of which way the motor
is wired (providing a DPST switch is configured as I describe).

You do, however, need to look and make sure that is the case, and not
rely on internet advice from players of unknown knowledge and
experience.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Karl wrote:
I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

TIA,
Karl

You shouldn't need a new switch. For example, page 5 of the user manual
for the DC-1100A shows how to convert the wiring for 230V operation.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/M-708639.pdf

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Karl wrote:
I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

I'm pretty sure LRod got the short answer right, but you could always
contact Jet for confirmation. (Or probe the switch and observe the
present connections to confirm how they're actually wired and the type
of switch.)

Personally, I converted everything except the bandsaw to magnetic
starters if they didn't already have one for the additional comfort of
no restart if lose power for the "really scary" guys like the jointer
and tablesaw. The bandsaw is a "not so much" and since it's the one
smaller-scale tool still in the shop, it's actually still just 115V but
if/when I step up, it will get the same treatment.

I was fortunate to find a passel of old Rockwell/Delta motor starters
at an auction a long time ago for a throwaway price so wasn't much more
than a couple bucks/tool. You can get moderately inexpensive small
motor starters at various places including Dayton from Grainger. I
think they are an expense well justified by the safety factor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "A.M. Wood" wrote:

It's possible that you can use the one's you have if they are DPDT
(double pole double throw) as the amperage will be 1/2 of the 110 draw
when you switch to 220.

Actually, a DPST (double pole single throw) is all that's needed, and much
less expensive than DPDT.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "A.M. Wood" wrote:

It's possible that you can use the one's you have if they are DPDT
(double pole double throw) as the amperage will be 1/2 of the 110 draw
when you switch to 220.

Actually, a DPST (double pole single throw) is all that's needed, and much
less expensive than DPDT.

--
Regards,

Yes you are indeed correct. I submitted a second post correcting that
error. Doesn't seem to always show up though.

AMW

Posted to rec.woodworking

I did call Jet and they told me that switches that come with the tools would
work for 230v. I also looked at the switches for the bandsaw and tablesaw,
they actually state on them they are good for 30A 115v or 20A 230v. The
bandsaw was the hardest to re-wire since I had to take the motor off
completely to remove the end which allowed access to the 'plastic piece'
that needed to be moved to change to 230v. The other motors, I just
followed the sticker on them and changed the wires around.

Did a test with each machine after re-wire to verify I got it correct and I
did.

Karl

Karl wrote:

I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

TIA,
Karl

Posted to rec.woodworking

Karl wrote:
I did call Jet and they told me that switches that come with the tools would
work for 230v. I also looked at the switches for the bandsaw and tablesaw,
they actually state on them they are good for 30A 115v or 20A 230v. The
bandsaw was the hardest to re-wire since I had to take the motor off
completely to remove the end which allowed access to the 'plastic piece'
that needed to be moved to change to 230v. The other motors, I just
followed the sticker on them and changed the wires around.

Did a test with each machine after re-wire to verify I got it correct and I
did.

Karl

It's great that worked out for you. Was it difficult to track down the
information from Jet?

IMO, for larger motors, using 220 is definitely better than 110 so .
Did you have to change the wiring at the switch or was it just at the
motor?

AMW