Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Changing tools from 115v to 230v...need switch

Karl wrote:
I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

I'm pretty sure LRod got the short answer right, but you could always
contact Jet for confirmation. (Or probe the switch and observe the
present connections to confirm how they're actually wired and the type
of switch.)

Personally, I converted everything except the bandsaw to magnetic
starters if they didn't already have one for the additional comfort of
no restart if lose power for the "really scary" guys like the jointer
and tablesaw. The bandsaw is a "not so much" and since it's the one
smaller-scale tool still in the shop, it's actually still just 115V but
if/when I step up, it will get the same treatment.

I was fortunate to find a passel of old Rockwell/Delta motor starters
at an auction a long time ago for a throwaway price so wasn't much more
than a couple bucks/tool. You can get moderately inexpensive small
motor starters at various places including Dayton from Grainger. I
think they are an expense well justified by the safety factor.