Posted to rec.woodworking
A.M. Wood A.M. Wood is offline

Default Changing tools from 115v to 230v...need switch

Karl wrote:
I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

TIA,
Karl

Didn't check the prices but these are usually pretty cheap.

http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/motorstarternpb.pdf

It's possible that you can use the one's you have if they are DPDT
(double pole double throw) as the amperage will be 1/2 of the 110 draw
when you switch to 220.

Of course a better alternative is a motor starter which will provide
some protection for the operator and the motor.

Good luck