Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Changing tools from 115v to 230v...need switch

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:34:38 -0500, Karl wrote:

I have quite a few tools that I want to switch from 115v to 230v...yes,
they are able to be switched but come built with 115v. I am looking for
a switch to use for them. The tools are Jet 6" Jointer, Jet 1100A DC,
bandsaw and my table saw.

Looking at the Jet jointer and DC, they use the same type of switch
18AMP125V . Can't find a 230V version of it..

I am certain others have upgraded their tools and I was wondering where
they got there switches from.

Very often when a manufacturer builds a tool and installs a dual
voltage motor, they install a DPST switch (as the other responder
mentioned) and switch both the hot and the neutral when the motor is
wired for 120V. If that is the case, you will only need to change the
jumpers at the motor and change the plug on the end of the cord, as
the switch will automatically break both hots when the motor is wired
for 240V.

The switch doesn't need to be rated higher than 125V because no
contact ever switches more than 125V regardless of which way the motor
is wired (providing a DPST switch is configured as I describe).

You do, however, need to look and make sure that is the case, and not
rely on internet advice from players of unknown knowledge and
experience.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.