Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ROS/ DC Connection

I went to Lee Valley the other day and bought two adapters, a 1.25" to 2.5"
and a 2.5" to 4". My goal was to see if I could hook my randon orbital
sander up to my dust collector. When I took the dust collection bag off the
sander to attach the smaller adapter, I noticed the 1.25" end had a "ring"
running around the outside about an 1/8" of the way from the end. This
prevents the adapter from going into the dust collection output of the
sander far enough to make an adequate connection. So, before I remove that
"ring" in some manner, has anyone else attempted to connect their ROS to a
dust collection system? If so, how did you accomplish it? I'm thinking I
might have to go buy a short section of 1.25" or so connect the sander to
the adapter.

TIA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

efgh wrote:
So, before I remove that
"ring" in some manner, has anyone else attempted to connect their ROS to a
dust collection system? If so, how did you accomplish it? I'm thinking I
might have to go buy a short section of 1.25" or so connect the sander to
the adapter.

When I did this with a shop vac, I found that the suction from the vac
travelled thru to the holes in the sanding disc and pulled the sander
down onto the workpiece. Since I was using my 6.25 HP Rigid shopvac at
the time, the suction was too much for the ROS to work correctly. Also,
the shop vac seemed to be straining quite a bit, since the was not very
much air being pulled through. I think that continued use this way
would burn out the shop vac.

Those things combined with the hellacious amount of noise made me give
up on it. What I did find that worked very well was to strap a furnace
filter to the back of a box fan and set that close to where I was
working. Any dust that didn't go into the ROS bag got pulled into the
filter.

Worked very well and I didn't have to fight with the vac hose either.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

the shop vac seemed to be straining quite a bit, since the was not very
much air being pulled through. I think that continued use this way
would burn out the shop vac.

My understanding is that the motor is working less hard -- after all the
RPMs are higher.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

efgh wrote:
I went to Lee Valley the other day and bought two adapters, a 1.25" to 2.5"
and a 2.5" to 4". My goal was to see if I could hook my randon orbital
sander up to my dust collector. When I took the dust collection bag off the
sander to attach the smaller adapter, I noticed the 1.25" end had a "ring"
running around the outside about an 1/8" of the way from the end. This
prevents the adapter from going into the dust collection output of the
sander far enough to make an adequate connection. So, before I remove that
"ring" in some manner, has anyone else attempted to connect their ROS to a
dust collection system? If so, how did you accomplish it? I'm thinking I
might have to go buy a short section of 1.25" or so connect the sander to
the adapter.

TIA.

Porter Cable makes a nice little 1" flexible hose with a 3/4" or so
soft rubber end that slips right over the dust tube on my PC sander.
Amazon.com I think. IIRC it was rather pricey for such a simple little
item. It has an adapter to size up to the 2.5" hose from my shop vac.
My vac has variable speed so I can slow it down to an appropriate
amount of suction. This little hose has proven quite handy because
it's sooo much more light and flexible than a shop-vac hose. It
doesn't hinder the motion of the sander so much.

DonkeyHody
"If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a
nail." - Abraham Maslow

Posted to rec.woodworking

"efgh" wrote in message news:2Y_bh.13262$hn.1905@edtnps82...
I went to Lee Valley the other day and bought two adapters, a 1.25" to 2.5"
and a 2.5" to 4". My goal was to see if I could hook my randon orbital
sander up to my dust collector. When I took the dust collection bag off
the sander to attach the smaller adapter, I noticed the 1.25" end had a
"ring" running around the outside about an 1/8" of the way from the end.
This prevents the adapter from going into the dust collection output of the
sander far enough to make an adequate connection. So, before I remove that
"ring" in some manner, has anyone else attempted to connect their ROS to a
dust collection system? If so, how did you accomplish it? I'm thinking I
might have to go buy a short section of 1.25" or so connect the sander to
the adapter.

You want to use a shop vac, not a DC. A DC won't move much air through a
1.25" tube.
I have done it for years without hurting anything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

efgh wrote:
I went to Lee Valley the other day and bought two adapters, a 1.25" to 2.5"
and a 2.5" to 4". My goal was to see if I could hook my randon orbital
sander up to my dust collector. When I took the dust collection bag off the
sander to attach the smaller adapter, I noticed the 1.25" end had a "ring"
running around the outside about an 1/8" of the way from the end. This
prevents the adapter from going into the dust collection output of the
sander far enough to make an adequate connection. So, before I remove that
"ring" in some manner, has anyone else attempted to connect their ROS to a
dust collection system? If so, how did you accomplish it? I'm thinking I
might have to go buy a short section of 1.25" or so connect the sander to
the adapter.

TIA.

when I did mine i used a length of shop vac hose that fit over the
sander port.

I left the gate valve open mostly to my table saw and found the sander
still had adequate suction.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in
ps.com:

efgh wrote:
[...]

IIRC, about $30. Works well, particularly if the duct tape is well made.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

efgh wrote:

. . . has anyone else attempted to connect their ROS to a dust
collection system? If so, how did you accomplish it?

I have a Rigid shop vac and two Rigid sanders. The hose from the
shop vac fits into the sanders perfectly, after removing the sanders'
dust collection bags. So it's essentially just plug-and-play to
hook the sanders to the shop vac. I also have a dust collection
system with the standard 4" flexible tubing. If I want to use the
sanders with the DC, all I do is remove the hose from the shop vac,
hook a sander to one end of the hose, stuff the other end of the
shop vac hose into the 4" tubing for the DC, and then stuff a towel
around shop vac hose. Sure it's a hack, but it's quick, it's easy,
and it works.

After having used the sanders hooked to both the shop vac and the
DC--I've found having that extra vacuum hose hooked to the sanders
makes them too cumbersome to use. So I don't really bother anymore,
unless I'm going to do a *lot* of sanding.

remove ".invalid".

ROS efgh Woodworking 5 September 6th 06 06:26 PM
ROS technique Larry Blanchard Woodworking 2 October 31st 05 05:46 AM
ROS David Lang UK diy 0 July 20th 05 02:57 PM
PC ROS Sam the Cat Woodworking 6 March 10th 05 05:15 PM
ROS;PSA or H&L DFM & JCM Woodworking 30 August 13th 04 09:55 PM