Sam the Cat

Default PC ROS

question for others using a ROS w/H&L pad. Recently the local borg has
started carrying the norton paper with a combo set of holes to fit both 8
and 5 hole pads. Besides seeming to be a lot less sandpaper I have noticed
my H&L pad is loosing its grip. With all the extra holes in the pad I am
thinking that I have ruined the pad -- anyone else experience this, or am I
nuts ? I've tried to revive the H&L with a brash brush, but it did not help
much. Its getting to the point that the paper flys off the pad if I pick it
up off the work surface.

Now I am faced with getting the sander fixed -- a new H&L pad goes for ~$22
and with shipping comes to ~$27. Now ordinarily this would not seem odd --
except that I can get a new 333 on Amazon for ~$64, new motor plus pad for
about twice the cost of a replacement pad alone

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sam the Cat" wrote in message
question for others using a ROS w/H&L pad. Recently the local borg has
started carrying the norton paper with a combo set of holes to fit both 8
and 5 hole pads. Besides seeming to be a lot less sandpaper I have
noticed
my H&L pad is loosing its grip.

I have a PC 5 hole and a DW 8 hole. I tried the Norton paper and won't use
it again. Not serious yet, but I think some of the hooks are clogged a bit
too. Now I keep 100 grit on one and 220 on the other. Simplifies selection.

In case you are wondering, no I did not intentionally buy two different
styles. The PC I bought first, the DW was a freebie when I bought my miter
saw.

Duane Bozarth

Sam the Cat wrote:

question for others using a ROS w/H&L pad. Recently the local borg has
started carrying the norton paper with a combo set of holes to fit both 8
and 5 hole pads. Besides seeming to be a lot less sandpaper I have noticed
my H&L pad is loosing its grip. With all the extra holes in the pad I am
thinking that I have ruined the pad -- anyone else experience this, or am I
nuts ? I've tried to revive the H&L with a brash brush, but it did not help
much. Its getting to the point that the paper flys off the pad if I pick it
up off the work surface.

Now I am faced with getting the sander fixed -- a new H&L pad goes for ~$22
and with shipping comes to ~$27. Now ordinarily this would not seem odd --
except that I can get a new 333 on Amazon for ~$64, new motor plus pad for
about twice the cost of a replacement pad alone

I thought the replacement pads were more like $15, but it's been about a
year since I last bought some---

They (the pads) to wear out...a thorough cleaning w/ cleaning liquid may
help a little for a while but one the "sticky" starts to lessen they're
toast before long...

If you use much volume, I'd recommend going w/ PSA instead of H&L--much
cheaper in the long run at only a slight (imo) inconvenience. The
advantage of switching from one grit to another and back w/ the same
sheet is the only advantage and at the much cheaper cost of PSA, that
isn't that big a deal...ymmv, etc.

Regarding abrasives, I've used either Klingspor or the Mirka from
Amazon--both are much better quality/longer-lived than the HD-carried
Norton and probably less than half the cost...

Only problem w/ Klingspor is they don't seem to have much in the 5-hole
PSA.

One can also buy bulk rolls of PSA paper at the local auto-body supply
at much less than the Borg retail prices.
bob

I consider my PC 333 to be a disposable tool. Like cheap cordless drills
from Sears, when they break or wear out, I give them to the Salvation Army
and buy a new one, hopefully something higher on the food chain.

I have used the multi-hole paper with no problems.

"Sam the Cat" wrote in message
[...]

Phisherman

I have the PC 333 also. My Black and Decker Professional palm sander
has had heavy use for 15 years and still goes strong. I doubt they
make them as good today, though.

"Sam the Cat" wrote in message
[...]

Duane Bozarth

Phisherman wrote:

I have the PC 333 also. My Black and Decker Professional palm sander
has had heavy use for 15 years and still goes strong. I doubt they
make them as good today, though.

B&D or PC, you mean?

PC, the new, improved version w/ the internal "belt" (actually just
an o-ring) to stop the unloaded spin is a major reversal for heavy
usage--it overheats as it simply adds friction as it goes round 'n round
which is uncomfortable holding the thing around the barrel and shortens
bearing life. I take it off first thing. The later ones (purchased
last couple of years or so) do seem to die quicker than the first one I
got quite some time earlier--I could no longer say when. That said,
they've been going through some real abusive work prepping the barn for
painting and I basically also think of them as throwaway for the
purpose.

I don't think the more expensive are worth the cost differential,
however.