Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default ROS/ DC Connection

efgh wrote:
So, before I remove that
"ring" in some manner, has anyone else attempted to connect their ROS to a
dust collection system? If so, how did you accomplish it? I'm thinking I
might have to go buy a short section of 1.25" or so connect the sander to
the adapter.

When I did this with a shop vac, I found that the suction from the vac
travelled thru to the holes in the sanding disc and pulled the sander
down onto the workpiece. Since I was using my 6.25 HP Rigid shopvac at
the time, the suction was too much for the ROS to work correctly. Also,
the shop vac seemed to be straining quite a bit, since the was not very
much air being pulled through. I think that continued use this way
would burn out the shop vac.

Those things combined with the hellacious amount of noise made me give
up on it. What I did find that worked very well was to strap a furnace
filter to the back of a box fan and set that close to where I was
working. Any dust that didn't go into the ROS bag got pulled into the
filter.

Worked very well and I didn't have to fight with the vac hose either.

Mike