Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Checking carcase for racking.

I have an old armoire whose doors have never fit quite right. This thing is
pretty good size (4' x 7') so it's a little unwieldy.
I know that the corners aren't exactly square, left to right, but I'm
wondering if it is also racked a bit, front to back.
Is there some way I can check to see that all four corners are in the same
plane? It's setting on a carpet, so checking the corners for plumb wouldn't
be very accurate.
Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have not heard " The Great Gildersleeve" in more than 50 years. You
must also be familiar with Jack Benny, Fred Allen et al. As to your
cabinet problem, the floor should be level ( if possible), then try to
measure both diagonals of the opening and compensate for the racking.
Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve wrote:
I have an old armoire whose doors have never fit quite right. This thing is
pretty good size (4' x 7') so it's a little unwieldy.
I know that the corners aren't exactly square, left to right, but I'm
wondering if it is also racked a bit, front to back.
Is there some way I can check to see that all four corners are in the same
plane? It's setting on a carpet, so checking the corners for plumb wouldn't
be very accurate.
Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Checking to see if all four corners are on the same plane is easy. All
you'll need is some string and tape. Tape a piece of string from one bottom
corner to the opposite top corner. Then do the same for the other side
(make a big "X" with the string across the front of the cabinet) the strings
should just touch where they cross in the middle. If they do not, something
is wracked. --dave

"Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve" wrote
in message ...

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Steel Racking Chris Metalworking 0 February 20th 06 09:23 PM
Should base molding go BELOW carcase of cabinet? David Woodworking 1 April 8th 05 10:01 PM
Carcase question George Pagliarulo Woodworking 11 January 10th 05 11:56 PM
Wanted: Advice on Garage Racking Mike Faithfull UK diy 14 September 11th 03 10:45 PM
Building wine racking for my cellar Igor Woodworking 4 August 12th 03 01:28 PM