David

Default Should base molding go BELOW carcase of cabinet?

I'm building a printer stand with drawers. I want to spruce up the
design with beveled edges and base molding so it doesn't look too plain.
Judging from a night stand that I turned over to inspect from
underneath, the mfgr. essentially built the night stand and then placed
it over an 1-1/2 thick (at the floor) molding. It's glued to the
underside of the night stand with a few short glue blocks and is screwed
at 2 of them.

My molding will be between 3/4 and 7/8 thick. Should I also build the
stand first and then elevate it with the baseboard, or take the
baseboard's height into account and raise all the other elements so that
I'll just be attaching the baseboard to the face of the lower rail and
end panels? Seems like that's just wasting wood.

Is this a six to one; half a dozen to the other sort of choice? Or is
there a "right way" and a wrong way to deal with base molding. The end
panels will be oak ply, so I guess I'll be ok glueing/nailing the
baseboard on the ends.

Dave