George Pagliarulo

Default Carcase question

I'm building an entertainment cabinet to support a 60" wide screen TV and
have a construction question. The carcase will be made out of 3/4" hardwood
plywood and will have two internal vertical dividers spaced equal distances
apart. These dividers and the sides will transfer the load to the floor.
There will also be a horizontal divider within each compartment. The
horizontal dividers will all be in the same plane.
My question is how to attach the horizontal dividers. If I cut a 1/4"
dado for them in the vertical panels then I end up with two dados opposite
from one another in each panel with 1/4" of stock between them. I'm
thinking that this is fine since all the load is going to be vertical not
side to side. But is this an issue? Will it be strong enough? I don't
think it would look to good but I'm not worried about that since a face
frame will cover the dados.

George

Swingman

"George Pagliarulo" wrote in message

But is this an issue?

Not really, once you get it assembled ... you're adding the removed material
back in with the ends of the horizontal dividers

Will it be strong enough?

Should be as strong as it was before you removed the material.

I don't
think it would look to good but I'm not worried about that since a face
frame will cover the dados.

Properly applied, the face frames should also add strength and rigidity to
the carcase.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Leon

[...]

I have done similar but make the horizontal divider,/ Shelf? Adjustable.
Why attach it permanently.
The back you put on the unit should keep it from racking.

igor

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:03:07 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I have done similar but make the horizontal divider,/ Shelf? Adjustable.
Why attach it permanently.
The back you put on the unit should keep it from racking.

Aha! And square, too?!!! (insert smilie here) -- Igor
Leon

wrote:

I have done similar but make the horizontal divider,/ Shelf? Adjustable.
Why attach it permanently.
The back you put on the unit should keep it from racking.

Aha! And square, too?!!! (insert smilie here) -- Igor

;~) I was just waiting for you to pick up on that. LOL

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message ...

"igor"

I have done similar but make the horizontal divider,/ Shelf?

Adjustable.
Why attach it permanently.
The back you put on the unit should keep it from racking.

Aha! And square, too?!!! (insert smilie here) -- Igor

;~) I was just waiting for you to pick up on that. LOL

But, but ... if there were no 'factory' edges, how do you know the back was
"square", and would make noise when it fell, by itself, in the forest?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message ...

"igor"

I have done similar but make the horizontal divider,/ Shelf?

Adjustable.
Why attach it permanently.
The back you put on the unit should keep it from racking.

Aha! And square, too?!!! (insert smilie here) -- Igor

;~) I was just waiting for you to pick up on that. LOL

But, but ... if there were no 'factory' edges, how do you know the back
was
"square", and would make noise when it fell, by itself, in the forest?

When in doubt I "Eye Ball It" fer acracy. LOL

igor

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:38:05 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message ...

"igor"

I have done similar but make the horizontal divider,/ Shelf?

Adjustable.
Why attach it permanently.
The back you put on the unit should keep it from racking.

Aha! And square, too?!!! (insert smilie here) -- Igor

;~) I was just waiting for you to pick up on that. LOL

But, but ... if there were no 'factory' edges, how do you know the back
was
"square", and would make noise when it fell, by itself, in the forest?

When in doubt I "Eye Ball It" fer acracy. LOL

And if your woodworking skills are inversely proportional to your spelling
at this NG (Shirley, some of it may be intentional), you must be a friggin'
Michael Angelo with wood. (And for your banker's sake, I hope so.) -- Igor

Leon

"igor" wrote in message

When in doubt I "Eye Ball It" fer acracy. LOL

And if your woodworking skills are inversely proportional to your spelling
at this NG (Shirley, some of it may be intentional), you must be a
friggin'
Michael Angelo with wood. (And for your banker's sake, I hope so.) --
Igor

Igor, I often spell words Phonically, Texan Phonically. And, my spell
checker has either given up on me or I am way ahead of it. LOL And just in
case, I was not in any way, shape, or form trying to belittle of offend you.

igor

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:07:28 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"igor" wrote in message
.. .

When in doubt I "Eye Ball It" fer acracy. LOL

And if your woodworking skills are inversely proportional to your spelling
at this NG (Shirley, some of it may be intentional), you must be a
friggin'
Michael Angelo with wood. (And for your banker's sake, I hope so.) --
Igor

Igor, I often spell words Phonically, Texan Phonically. And, my spell
checker has either given up on me or I am way ahead of it. LOL And just in
case, I was not in any way, shape, or form trying to belittle of offend you.

fagettabowtit

(I know a by-lined reporter for a major magazine whose e-mails evidence
less concern for spelling than the proverbial 1000 monkeys typing for
Shakespeare. But, her messages get through. If I want a spelling
reference, I'll check the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary I just bought.
Not as quick as a long-ago girlfriend who had been a state spelling bee
champ, but less attitude. Anyway, I enjoy the ree-partay. Thanks.)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:22:14 -0500, "George Pagliarulo"
wrote:

[...]

I'd probably make them adjustable shelves.

George...

You might want to look at this AVS Forum thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=470259

Here's what I built for my 62" Mitsubishi:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...197&fullpage=1

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...771&fullpage=1

Construction details are buried in the thread, but basically I used
butt joints augmented with deck screws and dowels. To insure that it
wouldn't rack, I blocked up the center with 1/2" plywood, cleated
around the entire perimeter. To test it (before finishing) two
200-pounders sat on either end and tried to rock it... nothing doing.
The set weighs about 175, and it pulls out easy for cabling. Would I
do it different next time... probably use my bisquit jointer instead
of dowels, but I didn't want a thick frame... so I had some
limitations.

Mike

wrote:

[...]

new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM
Replacement mortar question Paul Home Repair 8 December 2nd 03 01:18 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM