Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bugger, bugger, bugger

G'day all,
What a **** of a way to end a good day.
I have been making the bench tops for the new kitchen and things went
extremely smooth.
Had to place 2 joins in the laminate and both turned out as near to
perfect as you can get.
Contacted the laminate in place and all that was left was to trim it flush.
Grabbed a new flush trim router bit and away I went everything going so
well that something HAD to HAPPEN.
and it bloody well did !!
The flaming bearing collapsed on the cutter and a nice 3mm chunk was
routed out of the front edge of the top.
After much swearing, I mean a lot of swearing, no I really mean a Bloody
Lot of swearing I settled down and thought it through.
Grabbed a straight edge and clamped it onto the top, put a 19mm bit into
the router and took 3mm of the edge. Turned out OK, but will see if it
is noticeable when the timber edge is put in place.
Top is on the cabinets so it's time for well deserved beer.

Regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

I believe the difference between a decent woodworker and a great
woodworker is what he does AFTER he makes a mistake. Sounds like you
took the high road even if the mistake wasn't yours. Good save.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 26, 3:42 am, John B wrote:
[snipped here and there for brevity]
The flaming bearing collapsed on the cutter and a nice 3mm chunk was
routed out of the front edge of the top.

Been there, done that. Even a flush cutting bit right through the side
of a solid surface sink into the deck by 2". That was an expensive
Amana bit, so it is not just the cheap bits that drop their bearings.

Now I only use trimming routers with a bearing attached to the base,
not the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

John B wrote:

The flaming bearing collapsed on the cutter and a nice 3mm chunk was
routed out of the front edge of the top.

Robotoy followed:

Been there, done that.

Me to. Have become a great believer in LocTite.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Robotoy followed:

Been there, done that.

Me to. Have become a great believer in LocTite.

Yabbut..in one case it didn't come off, the bearing just disintegrated.
Them little wee bearings @ 22,000 RPM with 3.5 HP and a 200 pound
(plus)
guy in a hurry,... well.. it is bound to happen... or so I'm told.
The only thing the LocTite will assure, is that the screw is still
neatly in place after the carnage.
Sometimes the laminate will jam itself between the bearing and the
cutters, creating all kinds of havoc... again, or so I'm told.

This works nicely:
http://www.pinske-edge.com/ then click on tool catalogue, then search
and enter #2800 into the search window.
Stupid money, mind you, but easily fabricated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

This works nicely:
http://www.pinske-edge.com/ then click on tool catalogue, then search
and enter #2800 into the search window.
Stupid money, mind you, but easily fabricated.

Ya know ... this stuff might look nice in a decorative box ...
http://www.pinske-edge.com/catalog/catalog.htm

You're right ... they have a VERY high opinion of the value of their
merchandise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 08:42:53 GMT, John B
wrote:

The flaming bearing collapsed on the cutter and a nice 3mm chunk was
routed out of the front edge of the top.

Well, the flames didn't hint at there being a problem?

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Grabbed a straight edge and clamped it onto the top, put a 19mm bit into
the router and took 3mm of the edge. Turned out OK, but will see if it
is noticeable when the timber edge is put in place.
Top is on the cabinets so it's time for well deserved beer.

Regards
John

I just saw your append - I made my kitchen counter tops this way the
first time. Laminate, then wood edge. Problem is that water and gunk
gets into the crack between the laminate and the timber. Now I put the
wood on first, level it to the substrate and then put the laminate on
top. Run a round over bit afterwards and it looks MUCH better, plus it
keeps the water out of the crack.

Posted to rec.woodworking

robm wrote:
Grabbed a straight edge and clamped it onto the top, put a 19mm bit into
the router and took 3mm of the edge. Turned out OK, but will see if it
is noticeable when the timber edge is put in place.
Top is on the cabinets so it's time for well deserved beer.

Regards
John

I just saw your append - I made my kitchen counter tops this way the
first time. Laminate, then wood edge. Problem is that water and gunk
gets into the crack between the laminate and the timber. Now I put the
wood on first, level it to the substrate and then put the laminate on
top. Run a round over bit afterwards and it looks MUCH better, plus it
keeps the water out of the crack.

Yep, Your method was exactly what I intended to do. Un-fortunately the
top had to be made in 2 pieces so as to get it into the kitchen.
To reduce the problem of the joint between laminate and timber edge, I
sealed the the edge with a couple of coats of poly as well as the back
of the timber.
Gave the timber edging 3 coats of poly before installing it. Once it was
was installed I masked of the laminate and applied another three coats
of wipe on poly allowing as much as possible run into the joint.

Someone once said "Life is a Compromise"

regards
John