njf>badger

Default Bugger!

Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't allow it
to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!
Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal
Navy attitude!

niel.
Upscale

"njfbadger badger" wrote in message
Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't allow it
to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!
Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal
Navy attitude!

I guess you couldn't negotiate to take it away for free, saving them the
labour? Or would that have involved you having to do the entire job?

njf>badger

Upscale wrote:

"njfbadger badger" wrote in message

Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't allow it
to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!
Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal
Navy attitude!

I guess you couldn't negotiate to take it away for free, saving them the
labour? Or would that have involved you having to do the entire job?

No, total destruction on-site required!
Bob Schmall

"njfbadger badger" wrote in message
Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't allow it
to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!
Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal Navy
attitude!

niel.

Niel:
Given the Royal Navy's long record of "enlightened self-interest" re its
contractors*, it is easy to understand the origin of the policy.
Furthermore, given the great tradition of "too much is not enough" re
government's corrective actions, the burn-on-site regulation is also
understandable. However, understandable and reasonable are two different
things, eh?

Bob
* See Patrick O'Brien's well-researched fiction for examples.

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:28:01 +0100, "njfbadger"
wrote:

Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't allow it
to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!
Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal
Navy attitude!

Lot of that on this side of the pond as well.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Gerald Ross

njfbadger wrote:
Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't allow it
to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!
Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal
Navy attitude!

niel.

My dad used to work on an Airforce Base. They would hall piles of unused
Parachute cord to the dump on base and burn it. If you got caught taking
some of it home you were fired. Nice cord too, lots of uses on the farm.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

Swingman

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

My dad used to work on an Airforce Base. They would hall piles of unused
Parachute cord to the dump on base and burn it. If you got caught taking
some of it home you were fired. Nice cord too, lots of uses on the farm.

Akin to zero tolerance for those who won't or can't think ... heaven forbid
there should be a chance of corruption at any level but the highest.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Lobby Dosser

"njfbadger" wrote in news:ckdu93$d7m$1
@aspen.sucs.soton.ac.uk:

Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't allow it
to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!

Do they have a permit to burn? )

Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal
Navy attitude!

niel.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

My dad used to work on an Airforce Base. They would hall piles of unused
Parachute cord to the dump on base and burn it. If you got caught taking
some of it home you were fired. Nice cord too, lots of uses on the farm.

That would make sense in that you could not go into the parachute business
and make an unsafe chute and sue the cord provider. I would imagine there
is a safe way to make it unusable for a parachute but still be good for
cordage.

There was a lawsuit when a manufacturer of auto accessories trashed some
defective parts. An enterprising employee took them, sold them at a flea
market, and someone had an accident because of them. He sued and won.

Badger

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

There was a lawsuit when a manufacturer of auto accessories trashed some
defective parts. An enterprising employee took them, sold them at a flea
market, and someone had an accident because of them. He sued and won.

That explains Ford punching holes with a fork lift through every panel
of any bodies they fail in the local van plant, can't have anyone
recovering them for repairing their vans....One Ford rep. took to
dancing on panels that had small defects in their dealers bodyshops
after he'd approved FOC replacements, one body fitter took exception as
he needed a wing for his own car, but couldn't afford a new one, IIRC
the rep ended up wearing it!

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:09:49 GMT, Badger
wrote:

Gerald Ross wrote:

njfbadger wrote:

Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is
being burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't
allow it to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!
Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal
Navy attitude!

niel.

My dad used to work on an Airforce Base. They would hall piles of unused
Parachute cord to the dump on base and burn it. If you got caught taking
some of it home you were fired. Nice cord too, lots of uses on the farm.

Std. mil. bull****!

Most of this goes back to the contracts under which things are
purchased. A *lot* of military stuff is purchased at very low prices
because of the high volume. The manufacturer knows that much of it
will be used a short period of time before being "removed from
service". What they want to prevent is someone ordering a bunch of
stuff then flooding the market with lightly used material. The
military could actually mess up quite a few markets with their waste
if they were allowed to. It is nothing more than a price supports
thing.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Rudy

Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? (..Royal Navy)

If you need some kindling, we still have 3 Upholder class British submarines
in Canada that seem to burn quite well.

Rick Cook

Bob Schmall wrote:

[...]

"Nay never lift up your hands to me
There's no clean hands in the trade.
But steal in measure quoth Brigantine
There's measure in all things made."
"King Henry VIII and the Shipwrights" --
Rudyard Kipling

Wonder if anyone would notice if some of that wood just walked off?

--RC

Bob Martin

Tim Douglass wrote:

Most of this goes back to the contracts under which things are
purchased. A *lot* of military stuff is purchased at very low prices
because of the high volume.

This certainly isn't true in Britain.
The military is charged obscene prices by the manufacturers.

njf>badger

Bob Martin wrote:
Tim Douglass wrote:

Most of this goes back to the contracts under which things are
purchased. A *lot* of military stuff is purchased at very low prices
because of the high volume.

This certainly isn't true in Britain.
The military is charged obscene prices by the manufacturers.

And the building concerned is many hundreds of years old!
Tim Douglass

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:52:42 +0100, "njfbadger"
wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Tim Douglass wrote:

Most of this goes back to the contracts under which things are
purchased. A *lot* of military stuff is purchased at very low prices
because of the high volume.

This certainly isn't true in Britain.
The military is charged obscene prices by the manufacturers.

You might actually be surprised. In the U.S. there is always a lot of
talk about $600 toilet seats and stuff, but I worked with an
accountant who was in supply in the National Guard. During the first
Gulf War he processed a lot of stuff and showed me what some of the
prices were - a lot of things at 50% or less of civilian price, gas
was only about 10%. Some things are pretty high priced, and those are
the ones we hear about, but overall the pricing is awfully good.

And the building concerned is many hundreds of years old!

That, of course is a different issue and has to do with stupid policy
makers.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
J. Clarke

Bob Martin wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

Most of this goes back to the contracts under which things are
purchased. A *lot* of military stuff is purchased at very low prices
because of the high volume.

This certainly isn't true in Britain.
The military is charged obscene prices by the manufacturers.

If it's like the US it depends on the item and the volume and the
manufacturer.

For one-offs the prices can be very high due to administrative overhead--we
had one guy whose full time job it was to keep up with the changes in the
specification for an assembly that one of our techs could make from scratch
in a couple of days.

Then there are the small-business set-asides, where a certain amount of
contracting has to go to small or minority-owned businesses--some of those
businesses are very, very good, but many barely meet the requirements to
bid--nonetheless they get the preference on some items because there's a
more critical item that they need to procure from a more capable
contractor. So they have a lot of costs involved in meeting the spec and
keeping up the paperwork that a more established contractor doing larger
volume would not.

But if it's something like 100,000 A/N bolts then the price is generally
pretty low.

When you hear about things like $600 toilet seats there's generally more to
the story.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Byrocat

"Rudy" wrote in message news:wPFad.715797$gE.320294@pd7tw3no...
Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? (..Royal Navy)

If you need some kindling, we still have 3 Upholder class British submarines
in Canada that seem to burn quite well.

My Dad was in the RCN, and had a few horror stories. The best one
actually was told to me about when he'd been out of the services and
teaching for a number of years, and the CAF had ordered a pile of beef
carcasses to be rendered into steaks, roasts and such.

The steers had been inspected and marked with special stamps, then
pushed to a section of the plant and kept seperate from all the other
carcasses. Dad's partner doing the final inspected noticed something
about one of the cutters doing the filleting. Soem of the scrap pieces
looked to be a bit large.

At the end of the day, Dad and his partner went around to all of the
butchering stations, reached under the counters and pulled up boxes
full of filet mignon.

Tossing them on the counters, Dad's partner told the people cutting:
"Wrap those up as well" and then stood there and watched while the
guys did just that.

Dad said that if it had been one or two, they wouldn't ahve noticed,
but boxes full of them....
Badger

Tim Douglass wrote:

And the building concerned is many hundreds of years old!

That, of course is a different issue and has to do with stupid policy
makers.

Exactly!

Niel.

Grant P. Beagles

Quite true! A number of years ago there was a bunch of noise in the press
about a $200 screw driver. This screwdriver was part of a tool kit that
contained everything from basic hand tools to a sophisticated electronic test
set that was quite expensive. The "investigative" reporter came up with the
$200 dollar screwdriver by taking the price of the tool kit and dividing it by
the number of items in it! Using this method, the electronic test set also
cost $200, which was a huge bargain!

Grant

"J. Clarke" wrote:

snip

When you hear about things like $600 toilet seats there's generally more to
the story.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:09:36 +0100, "njfbadger"
wrote:

Upscale wrote:

"njfbadger badger" wrote in message

Little bro came by yesterday, doing an interesting job at the moment,
seems one place is being demolished, and a lot of old hard wood is being
burnt, inc.some rose wood, teak and oak, burnt? yep gov't won't allow it
to be sold, incase someone makes a profit!
Good Lord how I hate that kind of waste, typical British Gov't/Royal
Navy attitude!

I guess you couldn't negotiate to take it away for free, saving them the
labour? Or would that have involved you having to do the entire job?

No, total destruction on-site required!

And I suspect the ironic thing is that the folks who came up with that
policy also are very vocal in promoting "conservation" and
anti-growth/anti-production causes.