Tim Douglass

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:52:42 +0100, "njfbadger"
wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Tim Douglass wrote:

Most of this goes back to the contracts under which things are
purchased. A *lot* of military stuff is purchased at very low prices
because of the high volume.

This certainly isn't true in Britain.
The military is charged obscene prices by the manufacturers.

You might actually be surprised. In the U.S. there is always a lot of
talk about $600 toilet seats and stuff, but I worked with an
accountant who was in supply in the National Guard. During the first
Gulf War he processed a lot of stuff and showed me what some of the
prices were - a lot of things at 50% or less of civilian price, gas
was only about 10%. Some things are pretty high priced, and those are
the ones we hear about, but overall the pricing is awfully good.

And the building concerned is many hundreds of years old!

That, of course is a different issue and has to do with stupid policy
makers.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com