Posted to rec.woodworking

Default European Cabinet Hinges Price vs Quality

I have a kitchen that was remodeled in the late 80s. All the doors (30+)
were hung using european style 100 degree hinges. Many of them now have
problems. Not shutting. Not staying open. Loud snaps when opening and
closing. I've concluded that in most cases the problem stems from some sort
of plastic part used inside the mechanism that either wears or breaks. This
in turn might cause other problems like bent metal inside the hinge.
I've replaced a couple from hinges bought at the BORG. They seem ok but
light. I looked up what I thought were the same hinges at Lee Valley and
they cost about four times as much. Blum hinges I think. They're obviously
well made. Is there a middle ground? I don't really want to spend several
hundred replacing hinges, but I don't want the cheap ones either. Thx.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My experiece with Euro hinges is limited to removing and replacing dozens a
few weeks ago. We helped our son finish out a new house is SW Missouri. He
bought cabinets from a local shop that used them throughout the kitchen and
bath cabinets. We had to disassemble everthing to apply stain and finish.
Removal of doors was a joy. removal of hinges from doors and frames no more
work than conventional hinges. Replacement a bit more trouble but the
cabinet builder had left his index mark on all frames which helped.
Realigning doors was initially a PITA but once we caught on to the process,
and use of the adjustment screws, it was pretty easy.

As you said, they are higher quality than most hinges. The initial
installation will require some learn-time and extra process time but I will
be using them on some future projects.

RonB