Nexus7

Default Concealed hinges for 3/8" inset cabinet doors?

I have kitchen cabinets in stained (ply)wood, the doors are 3/4". They
are 3/8" inset with hinges that are visible on the outside. I plan to
strip and refinish the doors with a clear poly coat, and want to
replace the handles and hinges. From what I see at the H*me D*pot and
online, concealed hinges:

- need a pretty deep mortise that I'm not sure is possible with a 3/4"
thick door
- are not listed for simultaneously inset and overlay doors such as
these.

Therefore I was wondering if there are hinges made for this
application, or what to look for in regular concealed hinges that will
work here.

Thanks.

loutent

Last year I refinished our kitchen cabinets that
had oak raised panel doors and 3/8 inset hinges
that came with the cabinets. After about 15+ years,
a lot of the hinges had broken springs so the doors
did not close properly.

I wanted to do the same thing that you want. Since I had
some experience with the euro-type hinges, I thought
that it would be easy to bore out a 35mm hole in the door
and have a nice solid hinge which would be invisible. The
3/4 inch door would easily accomodate the mortise which
I think is 1/2 inch or so.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a euro hinge
that would accomodate a 3/8 inset door. What I finally did
was to upgrade to a much nicer looking viible hinge that
had a sleek (smaller) barrel and a nice finial. These were
not self-closing, so I also attached a magnetic catch to each door.

Looks a lot better than before, but I still wish that I could have
used the concealed euro type.

Maybe someone else knows of such a hinge. Good luck!

Lou