none

Default HELP! with self-closing cabinet hinges...doors are staying open,not closed!

Maybe someone has had this problem before...I'm trying to replace some
20 year old hinges on my bathroom cabinets. The new hinges are standard
self-closing hinges from Lowes. 3 screws into the door, 2 into the
frame, and the holes line up fine.

The problem is that the hinges hold the doors slightly open instead of
closed. There is anywhere from a 1/8" to 1/2" gap.

A previous owner replaced the hinges on the kitchen cabinets, and some
of them have the same problem!

I've looked at it, but can't figure out what to do to fix it. Something
weird is going on - I can't be the only person to have this problem.

Please HELP!

Thanks!
Mike O.

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:15:59 GMT, none wrote:

Maybe someone has had this problem before...I'm trying to replace some
20 year old hinges on my bathroom cabinets. The new hinges are standard
self-closing hinges from Lowes. 3 screws into the door, 2 into the
frame, and the holes line up fine.

The problem is that the hinges hold the doors slightly open instead of
closed. There is anywhere from a 1/8" to 1/2" gap.

You might try taking the door off of the hinges and leave the hinges
on the cabinet. Then move the hinges open and closed to see where the
hinge is binding. If the hinge isn't binding then there may be a
problem with the doors.

Are these hinges made with a 3/8" offset? Sometimes with these
hinges the hinge can be placed too far outboard on the stile. Normally
this happens because either the door is a bit too large or the notch
is not the right size. This causes the back side of the hinge to hit
the stile before the door is closed. Sometimes this can be fixed by
simply whacking the barrel part of the hinge toward the opening which
(by bending the hinge) moves the door (and the back of the hinge) very
slightly so that the hinge will clear. Most times though, the hinge
needs to be moved on the stile.

Mike O.

C & M

"none" wrote in message ...
Maybe someone has had this problem before...I'm trying to replace some
20 year old hinges on my bathroom cabinets. The new hinges are standard
self-closing hinges from Lowes. 3 screws into the door, 2 into the
frame, and the holes line up fine.

The problem is that the hinges hold the doors slightly open instead of
closed. There is anywhere from a 1/8" to 1/2" gap.

A previous owner replaced the hinges on the kitchen cabinets, and some
of them have the same problem!

I've looked at it, but can't figure out what to do to fix it. Something
weird is going on - I can't be the only person to have this problem.

Please HELP!

Thanks!

It might be that you just don't have the exact hinge. My cabinet hinges
have started
to give me some problems and the cabinetmaker is no longer in business.
There are
no names on the hinges and I can't find the exact same construction -
similar and
very close but the replacements do just what yours are doing.
Unfortunately, I live
in the sticks and there isn't a large supplier where I can make
comparisons. The big
box stores are no help. Good luck!

loutent

The problem is that the hinges hold the doors slightly open instead of
closed. There is anywhere from a 1/8" to 1/2" gap.

When you say 'slightly open' do you mean
that there is space between two doors or that
there is space between the frame and the door
(or both?)

Lou