Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Name that join

I've been trying to find the proper name for the sort of removable join
that's often used on particle-board furniture, without any luck. A
metal dowel with a partially threaded end is screwed into the face
board. The dowel is inserted into the cavity drilled on the rib of the
perpendicular board and is then tightened with a phillips-head
"thing-a-majig" on the face of that board.

I plan on using this sort of join when building my platform bed. The
purpose is to attach outside-facing boards without any visible screw
heads and still be able to take the whole bed apart when needed.

I plan on using actual wood stock where I can and ply on larger
spanning pieces. Any problems with this type of join on real wood?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

fourrings wrote:
I've been trying to find the proper name for the sort of removable join
that's often used on particle-board furniture, without any luck. A
metal dowel with a partially threaded end is screwed into the face
board. The dowel is inserted into the cavity drilled on the rib of the
perpendicular board and is then tightened with a phillips-head
"thing-a-majig" on the face of that board.

I plan on using this sort of join when building my platform bed. The
purpose is to attach outside-facing boards without any visible screw
heads and still be able to take the whole bed apart when needed.

I plan on using actual wood stock where I can and ply on larger
spanning pieces. Any problems with this type of join on real wood?

Thanks!

KD or Knock Down hardware

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...=kd%20hardware

Posted to rec.woodworking

Duke of Burl wrote:
fourrings wrote:

KD or Knock Down hardware

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...=kd%20hardware

That's the one! Thank you.

What's the general concensus on these? Is it a sin to use on real
wood? Does this sort of join still allow enough room for wood to
expand/contract as needed?

My current plan is to build the frame out of common soft lumbar (2x4,
2x6) and then attach wenge as outside facing panels. It would be nice
to not cheap out on the frame stock, so I might resort to a non-exotic
hardwood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

fourrings wrote:
Duke of Burl wrote:
fourrings wrote:

What's the general concensus on these? Is it a sin to use on real
wood? Does this sort of join still allow enough room for wood to
expand/contract as needed?

I thought the main reason for using these things was that screws don't
hold well in particle board. If your project is real wood, why not just
use traditional screws?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
I thought the main reason for using these things was that screws don't
hold well in particle board. If your project is real wood, why not just
use traditional screws?

I could. But the reason I was planning on using these is to eliminate
the "loosening" factor of threads after each disassembly of components.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
I thought the main reason for using these things was that screws don't
hold well in particle board. If your project is real wood, why not just
use traditional screws?

I could. But the reason I was planning on using these is to eliminate
the "loosening" factor of threads after each disassembly of components.

I'm in the process of making a mate's bed for my daughter and I used these
as my fasteners because I was worried about the same thing. I must have
taken it apart and put it back together about 25 times by now and it's just
as strong now as it was the first time.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...842,41269&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

fourrings wrote:
I've been trying to find the proper name for the sort of removable join
that's often used on particle-board furniture, without any luck. A
metal dowel with a partially threaded end is screwed into the face
board. The dowel is inserted into the cavity drilled on the rib of the
perpendicular board and is then tightened with a phillips-head
"thing-a-majig" on the face of that board.

Knock-down fittings, as was mentioned already.

I plan on using this sort of join when building my platform bed. The
purpose is to attach outside-facing boards without any visible screw
heads and still be able to take the whole bed apart when needed.

For a bed I'm not sure I'd use those...beds can be subject to a lot of
stress. Kids jumping on them, adults.....lets not go there in public.

I'd suggest hardware designed for beds. This may give an idea of what's
available:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...,40842&p=41269

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

For a bed I'm not sure I'd use those...beds can be subject to a lot of
stress. Kids jumping on them, adults.....lets not go there in public.

I'd suggest hardware designed for beds. This may give an idea of what's
available:

I agree - beds can take a lot of weight and stress - I wouldn't want
all that relying on some small bolts. For the queen style bed I just
completed, I basically made my own fastening system: two 3/4" dowels
on each end of each rail to take the weight, and a 1/2" bolt going
through the post into a nut set into the rail to tighten the thing
together. Very similar to:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details
except with bigger bolts and dowels.
I looked at the "bed rail fasteners" here
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10
but wasn't too impressed. The LV ones mentioned earlier look better,
or
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,40842,41269
is another possibility (although I don't like the little brass covers;
I made my own "plugs" out of wood drawer pulls)
Rockler also has a variety of other bed rail fastening options, many of
which weren't available even a year or 2 ago. Check out
http://tinyurl.com/y3dl3n. For instance, if http://tinyurl.com/y2hf7m
were available when I was putting together my bed, I probably would
have used them (with bigger dowels).
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

fourrings wrote:
I've been trying to find the proper name for the sort of removable join
that's often used on particle-board furniture, without any luck. A
metal dowel with a partially threaded end is screwed into the face
board. The dowel is inserted into the cavity drilled on the rib of the
perpendicular board and is then tightened with a phillips-head
"thing-a-majig" on the face of that board.

I plan on using this sort of join when building my platform bed. The
purpose is to attach outside-facing boards without any visible screw
heads and still be able to take the whole bed apart when needed.

I plan on using actual wood stock where I can and ply on larger
spanning pieces. Any problems with this type of join on real wood?

Thanks!

I've built two beds with this fastener:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5291
It seems like what you are talking about. Both of the beds are still
rock-solid after many years, and one of them is my son's bunk bed.
Notice that the weight is carried by the dowels, and the cam-lock just
holds everything together against the wracking forces.

DonkeyHody

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
[snipped]
For a bed I'm not sure I'd use those...beds can be subject to a lot of
stress. Kids jumping on them, adults.....lets not go there in public.

Mmmm... and here I thought it would be a design consideration for the
kitchen table.
Go figgur.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll work on integrating one of these
suggestions into my design.

Now to figure out TurboCad Deluxe 3D...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Chris Friesen wrote:
[snipped]
For a bed I'm not sure I'd use those...beds can be subject to a lot of
stress. Kids jumping on them, adults.....lets not go there in public.

Mmmm... and here I thought it would be a design consideration for the
kitchen table.
Go figgur.

Remember, the postman always rings twice so just sweep it clear first.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

fourrings wrote:
I've been trying to find the proper name for the sort of removable join
that's often used on particle-board furniture, without any luck. A
metal dowel with a partially threaded end is screwed into the face
board. The dowel is inserted into the cavity drilled on the rib of the
perpendicular board and is then tightened with a phillips-head
"thing-a-majig" on the face of that board.

I plan on using this sort of join when building my platform bed. The
purpose is to attach outside-facing boards without any visible screw
heads and still be able to take the whole bed apart when needed.

I plan on using actual wood stock where I can and ply on larger
spanning pieces. Any problems with this type of join on real wood?

Thanks!

I've always heard them called "cam-locks." As others mentioned, they
don't seem suited to joining bed rails to headboards and footboards.
The things you want go by the names "bed rail fasteners," "bed rail
hooks," and "bed rail brackets."

There is also a thing called a "bed bolt" sold by Rockler.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Oct 2006 07:57:56 -0700, "fourrings"
wrote:

I've been trying to find the proper name for the sort of removable join
that's often used on particle-board furniture, without any luck. A
metal dowel with a partially threaded end is screwed into the face
board. The dowel is inserted into the cavity drilled on the rib of the
perpendicular board and is then tightened with a phillips-head
"thing-a-majig" on the face of that board.

I plan on using this sort of join when building my platform bed. The
purpose is to attach outside-facing boards without any visible screw
heads and still be able to take the whole bed apart when needed.

I plan on using actual wood stock where I can and ply on larger
spanning pieces. Any problems with this type of join on real wood?

Not a problem at all- I had a coffee table many years ago that had
that IKEA style hardware you're describing (made of stainless steel,
not pot metal) and was made of solid pine. The result was a very nice
piece of furniture that could be easily assembled and disassembled.

Not sure what you'd call it, but it works well.