Posted to rec.woodworking
fourrings fourrings is offline

Default Name that join

I've been trying to find the proper name for the sort of removable join
that's often used on particle-board furniture, without any luck. A
metal dowel with a partially threaded end is screwed into the face
board. The dowel is inserted into the cavity drilled on the rib of the
perpendicular board and is then tightened with a phillips-head
"thing-a-majig" on the face of that board.

I plan on using this sort of join when building my platform bed. The
purpose is to attach outside-facing boards without any visible screw
heads and still be able to take the whole bed apart when needed.

I plan on using actual wood stock where I can and ply on larger
spanning pieces. Any problems with this type of join on real wood?

Thanks!