Posted to rec.woodworking
boorite boorite is offline

Default Name that join

fourrings wrote:
I've been trying to find the proper name for the sort of removable join
that's often used on particle-board furniture, without any luck. A
metal dowel with a partially threaded end is screwed into the face
board. The dowel is inserted into the cavity drilled on the rib of the
perpendicular board and is then tightened with a phillips-head
"thing-a-majig" on the face of that board.

I plan on using this sort of join when building my platform bed. The
purpose is to attach outside-facing boards without any visible screw
heads and still be able to take the whole bed apart when needed.

I plan on using actual wood stock where I can and ply on larger
spanning pieces. Any problems with this type of join on real wood?

Thanks!

I've always heard them called "cam-locks." As others mentioned, they
don't seem suited to joining bed rails to headboards and footboards.
The things you want go by the names "bed rail fasteners," "bed rail
hooks," and "bed rail brackets."

There is also a thing called a "bed bolt" sold by Rockler.