Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mortiser and Router to make a mortise?

Does anyone combo a mortiser and a router to make a mortise? I ask
because, as much fun as my delta mortiser bits have turned out to be, I
think I'd have better luck (and less risk of breakage) if I cut the end
points and then zipped the board down between them.

Since I'll have to cut 12 mortises per column (48 total) I'm looking
for the least amount of work that is as reproduceable as possible.

Suggestions welcome (part of the wine rack posts I've made in the
past).

Jason

Posted to rec.woodworking

Skip the mortiser all together. Rout 'em out!

Mortisers are for sissies!

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone combo a mortiser and a router to make a mortise? I ask
because, as much fun as my delta mortiser bits have turned out to be, I
think I'd have better luck (and less risk of breakage) if I cut the end
points and then zipped the board down between them.

Since I'll have to cut 12 mortises per column (48 total) I'm looking
for the least amount of work that is as reproduceable as possible.

Suggestions welcome (part of the wine rack posts I've made in the
past).

This may help
http://www.patwarner.com/morticer.html
http://www.patwarner.com/tenonmaker.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks all-

I have a Sears router- not a plunge. I think all this mean is I'm
going to have to be creative to get it to make the mortises, thats all.

Jason

Pat Barber wrote:
Find your favorite router jig and throw that mortising machine
away.

A router makes mortising a fun thing. A good jig is essential
but that can be made in a couple of minutes...

wrote:

Does anyone combo a mortiser and a router to make a mortise? I ask
because, as much fun as my delta mortiser bits have turned out to be, I
think I'd have better luck (and less risk of breakage) if I cut the end
points and then zipped the board down between them.

Since I'll have to cut 12 mortises per column (48 total) I'm looking
for the least amount of work that is as reproduceable as possible.

Suggestions welcome (part of the wine rack posts I've made in the
past).

Jason

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks all-

I have a Sears router- not a plunge. I think all this mean is I'm
going to have to be creative to get it to make the mortises, thats all.

Jason

Inside joke here Jason, but if you have a Sears router, you indeed have a
plunger router...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

That will take a great deal of creativity. I strongly
suggest you buy a decent plunge router. There are a
great many on the market and this will allow you to make
mortising a joy and not such an ordeal.

Here are few examples:

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/...cles_454.shtml

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/147/...he-router-jig/

wrote:

Thanks all-

I have a Sears router- not a plunge. I think all this mean is I'm
going to have to be creative to get it to make the mortises, thats all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Morris Dovey
wrote:

(in
) said:

| Does anyone combo a mortiser and a router to make a mortise? I ask
| because, as much fun as my delta mortiser bits have turned out to
| be, I think I'd have better luck (and less risk of breakage) if I
| cut the end points and then zipped the board down between them.
|
| Since I'll have to cut 12 mortises per column (48 total) I'm looking
| for the least amount of work that is as reproduceable as possible.
|
| Suggestions welcome (part of the wine rack posts I've made in the
| past).

Do it all with the router and cut round-ended tenons to match.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

First and most importantly, squared tennons give you much better
structural integrity.

What size are these mortises to be cut? -- How wide, how long, how deep?

For most mortises up to 1/2" wide, hand mortising is pretty darned
fast. If they're the usual 1/4"x 2-3" mortises, then 48 should be as
fast by hand, and a lot more fun. The deal is to start the mortise
about 3/16" or so from their ends, strike down with the flat chisel
side toward that end, do the other end likewise, and then pry the
waste-wood out. Repeat and repeat.
(Sure wish there were a way to sketch here)

At least get yourself a good mortising chisel to square the ends --
much faster than setting up a mortising machine, and since you can
place your mortising chisel precisely, more accurate as well.

lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Each, if the mockup works and holds, will be 3/4 deep, 1/2 wide, and 1
1/4 tall. These are going into 2x2" maple rails and the supports are
1x2" maple slats. They'll hold 6-10 wine bottles, which translates to
about 30lbs per shelf (15lbs per rail). They *should* hold that just
fine, although I haven't tested what would happen if the top should
pancake...

I would find it much easier to make them 3/4 deep, 1/4 wide, and 1"
tall but that gets back to trying to figure out how to make everything
correctly and accurately the first time thru- hence my interest in jigs
around router mortising.

Jason

lenny wrote:
In article , Morris Dovey
wrote:

(in
) said:

| Does anyone combo a mortiser and a router to make a mortise? I ask
| because, as much fun as my delta mortiser bits have turned out to
| be, I think I'd have better luck (and less risk of breakage) if I
| cut the end points and then zipped the board down between them.
|
| Since I'll have to cut 12 mortises per column (48 total) I'm looking
| for the least amount of work that is as reproduceable as possible.
|
| Suggestions welcome (part of the wine rack posts I've made in the
| past).

Do it all with the router and cut round-ended tenons to match.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

First and most importantly, squared tennons give you much better
structural integrity.

What size are these mortises to be cut? -- How wide, how long, how deep?

For most mortises up to 1/2" wide, hand mortising is pretty darned
fast. If they're the usual 1/4"x 2-3" mortises, then 48 should be as
fast by hand, and a lot more fun. The deal is to start the mortise
about 3/16" or so from their ends, strike down with the flat chisel
side toward that end, do the other end likewise, and then pry the
waste-wood out. Repeat and repeat.
(Sure wish there were a way to sketch here)

At least get yourself a good mortising chisel to square the ends --
much faster than setting up a mortising machine, and since you can
place your mortising chisel precisely, more accurate as well.

lenny

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

No.

"lenny" wrote in message
First and most importantly, squared tennons give you much better
structural integrity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20 Oct 2006 18:52:01 -0700, wrote:

Does anyone combo a mortiser and a router to make a mortise? I ask
because, as much fun as my delta mortiser bits have turned out to be, I
think I'd have better luck (and less risk of breakage) if I cut the end
points and then zipped the board down between them.

Since I'll have to cut 12 mortises per column (48 total) I'm looking
for the least amount of work that is as reproduceable as possible.

Suggestions welcome (part of the wine rack posts I've made in the
past).

I do it differently than the other posts in this particular thread,
and it may be helpful to you (or not.)

I usually carefully lay out the mortises with a square and a pencil,
then make the center line of the area to be removed, and mark it at
1/2 of the total width from each end, with several marks in between
the two. I whack each of the marks with a nail set to insure that the
drill bit seats properly, then drill several holes with a forsner bit
to the desired depth.

After you've got most of the material removed, it's very easy to clean
up the leftover bits in the corners and on the edges of the mortise
with a chisel.

The benefit to this is that it makes cutting the tenons on the table
saw simpler, and there's no need to round off the corners like you
would with the router method.

It is fast? Not at first, no. But I made a park bench a year or two
ago with 96 hand-cut mortises using this technique, and after the
first couple, the rest got easier and easier until it now it doesn't
take signifigantly longer to cut them by hand then it would to set up
and use a dedicated mortising machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
No.

CW is right.... G

_Well fitted_ tenons provide great structural integrity, the shape of
the corner means little, as long as it fits well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sad to say I'm already aware of this. I was making a shelf for the
dining room- and the cove bit 'wandered' a bit as I progressed. Had to
retighten the collet 5x across the 8 feet of the shelf length.

When I finished I was more worried what would have happen had it come
free at those speeds....

Jason