Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] purduephotog@gmail.com is offline

Default Mortiser and Router to make a mortise?

Each, if the mockup works and holds, will be 3/4 deep, 1/2 wide, and 1
1/4 tall. These are going into 2x2" maple rails and the supports are
1x2" maple slats. They'll hold 6-10 wine bottles, which translates to
about 30lbs per shelf (15lbs per rail). They *should* hold that just
fine, although I haven't tested what would happen if the top should
pancake...

I would find it much easier to make them 3/4 deep, 1/4 wide, and 1"
tall but that gets back to trying to figure out how to make everything
correctly and accurately the first time thru- hence my interest in jigs
around router mortising.

Jason

lenny wrote:
In article , Morris Dovey
wrote:

(in
) said:

| Does anyone combo a mortiser and a router to make a mortise? I ask
| because, as much fun as my delta mortiser bits have turned out to
| be, I think I'd have better luck (and less risk of breakage) if I
| cut the end points and then zipped the board down between them.
|
| Since I'll have to cut 12 mortises per column (48 total) I'm looking
| for the least amount of work that is as reproduceable as possible.
|
| Suggestions welcome (part of the wine rack posts I've made in the
| past).

Do it all with the router and cut round-ended tenons to match.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

First and most importantly, squared tennons give you much better
structural integrity.

What size are these mortises to be cut? -- How wide, how long, how deep?

For most mortises up to 1/2" wide, hand mortising is pretty darned
fast. If they're the usual 1/4"x 2-3" mortises, then 48 should be as
fast by hand, and a lot more fun. The deal is to start the mortise
about 3/16" or so from their ends, strike down with the flat chisel
side toward that end, do the other end likewise, and then pry the
waste-wood out. Repeat and repeat.
(Sure wish there were a way to sketch here)

At least get yourself a good mortising chisel to square the ends --
much faster than setting up a mortising machine, and since you can
place your mortising chisel precisely, more accurate as well.

lenny