Jim Martin

Default Shop built slot mortiser

Hello All:

Recently someone was requesting information about slot mortising machines so
I thought I would post pictures of mine to a.b.p.w. I got the idea that I
just HAD TO HAVE a slot mortiser by watching the promotional video for a
Robland. One thing led to another and I built this from a hodge podge of
parts for about $250 (not including the router). It works like a
champ. The main components a
1) A sliding x-y table on linear ball bearings, purchased on ebay for $100
plus shipping.
2) A Richards Light table. This thing is some sort of cold war era film
viewer which reportedly cost Uncle Sam several thousand $$. I paid $50 at a
local surplus auction for it. This table is built like a tank and has
vertical travel, which is critical but very hard to come by.
3) A tablesaw table with t-slots. T-slots are critical for the hold down. I
salvaged this from a burned out delta contractor saw purchased from a local
tool supply shop for $40. The "wings" are aluminum angle.
4) The router is held in a maple and purple heart block. The big clamp is
from my Accumiter (I never use it on the miter gage). The little strip you
see at the front of the table (closest to the router that is) was part of
the light table and allows me to quickly set a piece perpendicular to the
cutter and it has a sliding stop for positioning repetitive cuts.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Martin

"max" wrote in message
Any pictures?

One pic posted on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Two more pics posted in
the photos section of the yahoo group "shopbuilttools".

Cheers,

Jim

Never Enough Money

I had a recent post on a slot mortiser. I'm very interested in your.
However, I must not know how to use a.b.p.w. When I go there, I see
about 30 pictures, but none of them are a slot mortiser. I imagine
there's a way to see the archives, but I can't seem to find out how.
Or perhaps yours haven't appeared yet????

[snip]
Never Enough Money

Found a shop-made slot mortiser at Wood Central, too.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D%26s a%3DG

Jim Martin

Not sure what might be up with your newserver. It may show up directly but
with the binary groups you just never know.

I also posted pictures to the yahoo group called "shopbuilttools" but you'll
have to sign up for the group to see the pics. Failing those two avenues, I
can email pics directly to you.

Cheers,

Jim

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
om...
Found a shop-made slot mortiser at Wood Central, too.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...90.shtml&h=384
&w=512&sz=27&tbnid=opPF8GuoE4EJ:&tbnh=96&tbnw=128& start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3
Dslot%2Bmortiser%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Mark Jerde

Jim Martin wrote:

I also posted pictures to the yahoo group called "shopbuilttools" but
you'll have to sign up for the group to see the pics. Failing those
two avenues, I can email pics directly to you.

Here's a free place to post photos.

"Welcome to TinyPic, an internet hosting service running on a linux
dedicated server network. Quickly link to auctions, message boards, blogs,
etc. Best of all, the url will always be tiny!"

http://tinypic.com/

Bob

"Jim Martin" wrote in message
Hello All:

Recently someone was requesting information about slot mortising machines

so
I thought I would post pictures of mine to a.b.p.w.

If you posted them, they did not show up.

Bob

Jim Martin

Thanks for the tip. Here are the links to three pics.

http://tinypic.com/oicmt

http://tinypic.com/oicns

http://tinypic.com/oicr8

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
Jim Martin wrote:

I also posted pictures to the yahoo group called "shopbuilttools" but
you'll have to sign up for the group to see the pics. Failing those
two avenues, I can email pics directly to you.

Here's a free place to post photos.

"Welcome to TinyPic, an internet hosting service running on a linux
dedicated server network. Quickly link to auctions, message boards,

blogs,
etc. Best of all, the url will always be tiny!"

http://tinypic.com/

Mark Jerde

Jim Martin wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Here are the links to three pics.

http://tinypic.com/oicmt

http://tinypic.com/oicns

http://tinypic.com/oicr8

Wow! I'm impressed!

-- Mark

Bill Wallace

Jim,

Nice job. I also found that other on with pictures posted online that
is referenced in this thread. I have ne question about these.

The Multi-Router, that theses seem to emulate has the concept of a
tracabl;e template to control the mortise and tenon sizes. Also
supposedly supports a box and dovetail joint mode.

Does yours have some dsort of follower setup or is it just a manual
process for each joint.

BW

"Jim Martin" wrote in message ...
[...]

Jim Martin

"Bill Wallace" wrote in message
om...
Does yours have some dsort of follower setup or is it just a manual
process for each joint.

No follower. I just set the stops and cut slot mortises. Also, I use a lot
of loose tennon joinery in which you cut mortises into both peices and then
use tennon stock.

Cheers,

Jim

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:57:36 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
calmly ranted:

Jim Martin wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Here are the links to three pics.

http://tinypic.com/oicmt

http://tinypic.com/oicns

http://tinypic.com/oicr8

Wow! I'm impressed!

Yeah, very nice, Jim.

Questions:

What are the bearings?

Is that built on top of your table saw?

I see that you fabricated much of it yourself.
What was the sourcing on the rest?

Stain and Poly are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Jim Martin

"Larry Jaques" wrote
Questions:

What are the bearings?

Linear ball bearings

Is that built on top of your table saw?

No, I just used a tablesaw table.

I see that you fabricated much of it yourself.
What was the sourcing on the rest?

Hi Larry:

Here is the description I posted originally that has probably dropped off of
most servers by now. It describes most of the parts and their procurement
;-)

Recently someone was requesting information about slot mortising machines so
I thought I would post pictures of mine to a.b.p.w. I got the idea that I
just HAD TO HAVE a slot mortiser by watching the promotional video for a
Robland. One thing led to another and I built this from a hodge podge of
parts for about $250 (not including the router). It works like a champ. The
main components a
1) A sliding x-y table on linear ball bearings, purchased on ebay for $100
plus shipping.
2) A Richards Light table. This thing is some sort of cold war era film
viewer which reportedly cost Uncle Sam several thousand $$. I paid $50 at a
local surplus auction for it. This table is built like a tank and has
straight vertical travel, which I considered critical but was very hard to
come by.
3) A tablesaw table with t-slots. T-slots are critical for the hold down. I
salvaged this from a burned out delta contractor saw purchased from a local
tool supply shop for $40. The "wings" are aluminum angle.
4) The router is held in a maple and purple heart block. The big clamp is
from my Accumiter (I never use it on the miter gage). The little strip you
see at the front of the table (closest to the router that is) was part of
the light table and allows me to quickly set a piece perpendicular to the
cutter and it has a sliding stop for positioning repetitive cuts.

Cheers,

Jim

Factory built home vs. traditional site built home Todd Home Ownership 10 January 9th 04 01:23 PM
Time for a dedicated shop -linux_lad Woodworking 5 September 5th 03 01:11 AM
Shop Power keith bowers Metalworking 24 August 1st 03 06:18 AM
Small Shop Layout Traves W. Coppock Woodworking 2 July 12th 03 12:35 PM