Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rail & Stile router bit set

I just bought a rail and style router bit set and have a question.

After completing the cuts with the grain using one of the bits and
then completing the cross-grain cuts with the other bit everything
went well. I got everything assembled and that phase went well too.

I want to add a profile to the outside of the rail and style that
matches the profile I already cut on the inside. To do this I could
disassemble the router bit used for cutting with the grain. Is that
acceptable? Will I have any alignment problems when I reassemble the
bit for use on a future project?

Any advise is appreciated.

R.C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard Cranium wrote:
I just bought a rail and style router bit set and have a question.

After completing the cuts with the grain using one of the bits and
then completing the cross-grain cuts with the other bit everything
went well. I got everything assembled and that phase went well too.

I want to add a profile to the outside of the rail and style that
matches the profile I already cut on the inside. To do this I could
disassemble the router bit used for cutting with the grain. Is that
acceptable? Will I have any alignment problems when I reassemble the
bit for use on a future project?

Any advise is appreciated.

R.C.

that would work, but always having to do that will become a pita real
quick. Just buy a router bit with the same profile
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
I just bought a rail and style router bit set and have a question.

After completing the cuts with the grain using one of the bits and
then completing the cross-grain cuts with the other bit everything
went well. I got everything assembled and that phase went well too.

I want to add a profile to the outside of the rail and style that
matches the profile I already cut on the inside. To do this I could
disassemble the router bit used for cutting with the grain. Is that
acceptable? Will I have any alignment problems when I reassemble the
bit for use on a future project?

Any advise is appreciated.

R.C.

First off, if you cut the ends of the rails first you can clean up 1/2 of
the tear out created by this procedure when running the stile bit.

Many of the rails and stile bits are shimmed from the factory. You would
need to keep them in the correct order and placement. Typically a separate
bit is used for this purpose.