Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Default rail & stile wainscoting question

Hello - I am considering a wainscoting project that will involve poplar
rails and stiles various 1/4 rounds and possibly (Yet TBD) raised panels. I
have all the tools and experience to mill my own stock but I have never seen
(Nor have I looked for) poplar in the rough. Can yall tell me if its cheaper
to buy 4/4 or 5/4 poplar in the rough versus s4s at the borg? Poplar cause
it will be painted.

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"No" wrote in message
Hello - I am considering a wainscoting project that will involve poplar
rails and stiles various 1/4 rounds and possibly (Yet TBD) raised panels.

have all the tools and experience to mill my own stock but I have never

seen
(Nor have I looked for) poplar in the rough. Can yall tell me if its

cheaper
to buy 4/4 or 5/4 poplar in the rough versus s4s at the borg? Poplar cause
it will be painted.

If you can't beat the BORGS linear foot prices for poplar at a hardwood
lumber yard, you're not trying.

Unless you have a jointer and planer, even S2S1E poplar should be a lot
cheaper, and all you need is a table saw with a good fence to "mill" it to
your widths.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On 24 Feb 2006 01:02:53 +0100, "No" wrote:

Can yall tell me if its cheaper
to buy 4/4 or 5/4 poplar in the rough versus s4s at the borg?

It absolutely is. In my area it's a 3x price difference.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

It's WAY cheaper. See, for example:

http://www.walllumber.com/premier.asp

That's near me in NC, but you should be able to find fairly good
prices, as well, depending where you live.

It's probably cheaper to order the wood from the link above and have it
shipped than to buy it at the Borg.

Josh

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

No wrote:
Hello - I am considering a wainscoting project that will involve poplar
rails and stiles various 1/4 rounds and possibly (Yet TBD) raised panels. I
have all the tools and experience to mill my own stock but I have never seen
(Nor have I looked for) poplar in the rough. Can yall tell me if its cheaper
to buy 4/4 or 5/4 poplar in the rough versus s4s at the borg? Poplar cause
it will be painted.

A lot of the wood I've seen in Home Despot is essentially rough sawn.
The planer chatter is something unbelievable.

If you have the knowledge and equipment to mill your own stock, it's a
far better way to go. I can't comment on how wood is priced in your
area, but around here it would be cheaper to get the poplar from a
hardwood house.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"Swingman" wrote in message
"No" wrote in message
[...]

I have a new 8" jointer and 13" planer looking for a project! grin

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
No wrote:
Hello - I am considering a wainscoting project that will involve poplar
rails and stiles various 1/4 rounds and possibly (Yet TBD) raised panels.
have all the tools and experience to mill my own stock but I have never
seen
(Nor have I looked for) poplar in the rough. Can yall tell me if its
cheaper
to buy 4/4 or 5/4 poplar in the rough versus s4s at the borg? Poplar
cause
it will be painted.

A lot of the wood I've seen in Home Despot is essentially rough sawn.
The planer chatter is something unbelievable.

If you have the knowledge and equipment to mill your own stock, it's a
far better way to go. I can't comment on how wood is priced in your
area, but around here it would be cheaper to get the poplar from a
hardwood house.

Thanks everyone for the replies - I guess I need to get off my butt and
check prices! My wood supplier deals in more specialty woods and not the
type of bulk purchase I am going to need. (Not that its THAT much wood)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"No" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message

Unless you have a jointer and planer, even S2S1E poplar should be a lot
cheaper, and all you need is a table saw with a good fence to "mill" it

your widths.

I have a new 8" jointer and 13" planer looking for a project! grin

Get to work then ... you sure didn't buy those tools to mill BORG lumber.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"Swingman" wrote in message
"No" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message

Unless you have a jointer and planer, even S2S1E poplar should be a lot
cheaper, and all you need is a table saw with a good fence to "mill" it

your widths.

I have a new 8" jointer and 13" planer looking for a project! grin

Get to work then ... you sure didn't buy those tools to mill BORG lumber.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Nope - Thanks for your input. I have only bought more what I would call
specialty lumber in furniture quantities. I guess my question was more about
buying plain ole poplar in the rough. I'll go shopping and see what I can
find.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
No wrote:

Nope - Thanks for your input. I have only bought more what I would call
specialty lumber in furniture quantities. I guess my question was more
about
buying plain ole poplar in the rough. I'll go shopping and see what I can
find.

As a kid being sent to the store with $5 to get some milk, you never
came back with the milk and a Tootsie Roll?

ha

Posted to rec.woodworking
Woody

No wrote:
Hello - I am considering a wainscoting project that will involve poplar
rails and stiles various 1/4 rounds and possibly (Yet TBD) raised panels. I
have all the tools and experience to mill my own stock but I have never seen
(Nor have I looked for) poplar in the rough. Can yall tell me if its cheaper
to buy 4/4 or 5/4 poplar in the rough versus s4s at the borg? Poplar cause
it will be painted.

TIA

As someone who's been there, done that, let me suggest that (at very
least) you opt to use MDF for the raised panels if not the rails &
stiles as well. If, as you stated, you're going to paint this, the
movement across the panels (and probably the rails & stiles) will cause
splits in the painted surface.

I created "true" raised panel wainscoting for my dining room exclusively
out of MDF. It was a lot of work and dusty, but two years later, there's
still no seams where the MDF panels/rails/stiles have moved and split
the paint.

Read the gory details along with pictures at:
http://www.woodwrecker.com/woodworking/wainscoting/

~Mark.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Woody" wrote in message
news

As someone who's been there, done that, let me suggest that (at very
least) you opt to use MDF for the raised panels if not the rails &
stiles as well. If, as you stated, you're going to paint this, the
movement across the panels (and probably the rails & stiles) will cause
splits in the painted surface.

I created "true" raised panel wainscoting for my dining room exclusively
out of MDF. It was a lot of work and dusty, but two years later, there's
still no seams where the MDF panels/rails/stiles have moved and split
the paint.

As much as I hate MDF, I remember when you first posted the link to these
pictures. I loved what you did and a second look today was just as good.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Woody

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
news

As someone who's been there, done that, let me suggest that (at very
least) you opt to use MDF for the raised panels if not the rails &
stiles as well. If, as you stated, you're going to paint this, the
movement across the panels (and probably the rails & stiles) will cause
splits in the painted surface.

I created "true" raised panel wainscoting for my dining room exclusively
out of MDF. It was a lot of work and dusty, but two years later, there's
still no seams where the MDF panels/rails/stiles have moved and split
the paint.

As much as I hate MDF, I remember when you first posted the link to these
pictures. I loved what you did and a second look today was just as good.

Thanks for the compliment (I wasn't fishing BTW). I've subsequently
learned that there are some *very* nasty chemicals in MDF that make dust
collection during routing imperative.

On a couple of projects Norm has done, he seems to favor poplar for the
rails & stiles and MDF for the panels. My guess is he's concerned the
rails/stiles won't route as "crisply" as poplar if they're MDF, but I
had no complaints.
Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"Woody" wrote in message
news
No wrote:
[...]

Thanks Woody - I am actually leanning to not raising panels at all. I think
I will just do rails/styles base and cap with a 1/4 round in the frames. It
will give me the look I want and not require panels. The layout from an old
Family Handyman article that was pretty good is where my head is at at the
moment.

Junior Member

Also check out http://www.wainscotinglongisland.com for wainscoting ideas