Posted to rec.woodworking
BD

Default What is Max Width for a Rail & Stile cabinet Door

Just wondering what is the max width a person should make a rail and
Stile type Cabinet door. I am building some and have some openings 22
5/8" to 21" wide. I was hoping to get away with one door instead of 2.
Is this a good idea or should I make 2 door to fit in these openings?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"BD" wrote in message
Just wondering what is the max width a person should make a rail and
Stile type Cabinet door. I am building some and have some openings 22
5/8" to 21" wide. I was hoping to get away with one door instead of 2.
Is this a good idea or should I make 2 door to fit in these openings?

Really a matter of taste, and often location.

On pantries and tall cabinets I will almost always use one door. With
cabinets with openings closer to/or over 24", I'll go with two doors on both
uppers and lowers.

Two doors are usually much more convenient on uppers for obvious, head
banging, reasons.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

BD wrote:
Just wondering what is the max width a person should make a rail and
Stile type Cabinet door. I am building some and have some openings 22
5/8" to 21" wide. I was hoping to get away with one door instead of 2.
Is this a good idea or should I make 2 door to fit in these openings?

Sure, you can do it. As the other poster said, it's primarily a "looks"
issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"BD" wrote in message
. com...
Just wondering what is the max width a person should make a rail and Stile
type Cabinet door. I am building some and have some openings 22 5/8" to
21" wide. I was hoping to get away with one door instead of 2. Is this a
good idea or should I make 2 door to fit in these openings?

No rule however, If you use 2 doors for that opening you will need to
address the space between the doors. You can either put another face frame
stile between the doors and end up with 10 wide openings or attach a false
stile to the back of one of the doors to cover the slot between the doors.

That said, I have 5 doors that are that wide in my kitchen and several 18"
and wider. The closer the doors get to square the stranger they look when
compared to other doors that have a longer tall vs. width measurement.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jody

Leon wrote:
"BD" wrote in message
. com...

Just wondering what is the max width a person should make a rail and Stile
type Cabinet door. I am building some and have some openings 22 5/8" to
21" wide. I was hoping to get away with one door instead of 2. Is this a
good idea or should I make 2 door to fit in these openings?

No rule however, If you use 2 doors for that opening you will need to
address the space between the doors. You can either put another face frame
stile between the doors and end up with 10 wide openings or attach a false
stile to the back of one of the doors to cover the slot between the doors.

That said, I have 5 doors that are that wide in my kitchen and several 18"
and wider. The closer the doors get to square the stranger they look when
compared to other doors that have a longer tall vs. width measurement.

Just like the others said. One thing to keep in mind. Don't skimp on
cheap hinges. If you have a wide door and a big raised panel in it the
hinges will see a lot of weight both opened and closed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jody" wrote in message

Just like the others said. One thing to keep in mind. Don't skimp on cheap
hinges. If you have a wide door and a big raised panel in it the hinges
will see a lot of weight both opened and closed.

Well you can buy cheap hinges, don't get cheaply made hinges. I buy Blum's
for $1.65 each, they have a life time warrantee, and out of the hundreds
that I have installed have not has a single failure in the last 17 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jody

Leon wrote:
"Jody" wrote in message

Just like the others said. One thing to keep in mind. Don't skimp on cheap
hinges. If you have a wide door and a big raised panel in it the hinges
will see a lot of weight both opened and closed.

Well you can buy cheap hinges, don't get cheaply made hinges. I buy Blum's
for $1.65 each, they have a life time warrantee, and out of the hundreds
that I have installed have not has a single failure in the last 17 years.

Yes I should have said cheap quality, not just cheap.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

I often use two doors with nothing between them. Once I got them too narrow
and added a walnut "accent" to one of them. When I've made them wide, I've
used a center stile that sits between the rails. It's easy to do, looks
good, and lets me avoid the trouble of gluing up a wide panel.
Wilson
"bf" wrote in message
ups.com...