Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool Batteries

For those who remmeber, I inquied here about MaKita replacement
batteries about a month ago.

Some results.

I purchased a "No-Name" battery pak, rated at 2000mAH from an
outfit in San Jose, CA. It was purchased via the internet,
landed price with shipping in Vancouver Canada was C$49.00
approx.

After cycling on my battery tester/cycler, 4 times, the capacity
is as follows.
1. 1600 mAH (Used the Makita quick charger)
2. 1920 mAH (Used a Constant volt/current (200 mA) supply)
3. 1760 mAH (Used a Constant volt/current (200 mA) supply)
4. 1854 mAH (Used a Constant volt/current (200 mA) supply)

Remember the battery was advertised at 2000 mAH.
Just though I'd pass on what I found.
I guess you get what you pay for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 16:19:38 GMT, "Doug Schultz"
wrote:

what was the cost of having your Makita batteries rebuilt by Polar Battery
on Boundary Road?

snip

I went to Battery Plus in Pineville, NC to find out their replacement
cost to rebuild a 14.4 volt battery pack for a Delta drill/driver.
They quoted $36 for one battery pack. I don't think I spent that
much for the drill, two battery packs, and the charger!

As a result, I followed a prior posting about a process to extend the
life of the batteries by hitting the back side of the battery with a
hammer to break the crystal short across the battery. Also, the
use of a high current of short duration to open the crystal short.
The hammer didn't work but using a auto battery charger removed
the shorts. I was able to get voltage from all the "zero voltage"
of 1.3 v but they still don't hold a charge overnight. Oh well.

Now looking for another sale.

FYI,
Thunder

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Schultz" wrote in

what was the cost of having your Makita batteries rebuilt
by Polar Battery on Boundary Road?

I purchased a "No-Name" battery pak, rated at 2000mAH from
an outfit in San Jose, CA. It was purchased via the
internet, landed price with shipping in Vancouver Canada
was C$49.00 approx.

Good comment.
You know I never thought of Polar Battery.
I've bought batteries there before, but had never thought of
getting my batteries rebuilt there. It was just so easy to go
on line and order them.