Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill 4" hole through 1" wood desk

Hi.

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:
Hi.

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

Thanks.

I would use a holesaw, though they are not known for leaving a fine
finish. If I was feeling particularly manly, I have an old Irwin
expansive bit and brace I could use also.

Perhaps another viable alternative would be to use a jigsaw and cut
the hole.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Now that everyone has told you about the dangers of a drill (I agree
completely. Can be done but ...), I would do it with a router. Use a circle
cutting attachment (easily made) and a half inch bit, Cut through in small
bites. Double sided tape a board across the bottom before cutting so the
middle won't flop around when free. Smooth cut and quite safe.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

From practical experience, and if you have a drill press, the adjustable
circle/wheel cutter that Greg D mentions cuts a very clean, furniture
quality hole.

I used a similar one to cut the many holes you see in this plan rack:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects9.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

You've already got several good suggestions. Here's how I'd do it if I wanted a good looking edge.

1. Using fly cutter, make a 4 inch diameter hole in a piece of 1/4 hardboard to make a pattern.
2. Trace hole where you want it on the wood using said pattern
3 Drill a starter hole and cut out the circle INSIDE the line using a saber saw (I'm working on my
geezerhood - a good jig saw can't be held in one hand, but a saber saw can.)
4. Align hardboard pattern back over traced line and hold it in place using double sided tape.
5. Use flush trim bit in router with the hardboard as a pattern to smooth up the cut edges. Maybe
come back with a round-over or chamfer bit to take the sharp edge off the top of the hole.

YMMV, especially if you don't have much experience climb cutting with a router, or leave the amount
of wood to clean up too thick. DAMHIKT.

Regards,
Roy

On 2 Jul 2006 18:52:33 -0700, wrote:

Hi.

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...180,42316&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...180,42316&ap=1

You better have one helluva drill for that 4" hole saw!

Here's a ready made opportunity for the infamous Roto-Zip with it's circle
cutter attachment.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote:

Lee Valley has two 4" sawtooth forstner bits. One is $27.00 and the other
is $40.00

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

They've also got a 4" hole saw:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42316

for $22 ($34 if you don't already have the mandril). So, the question is,
given these prices, is there any reason you would want the hole saw in
preference to the saw-tooth bit? I would think the bit would be superior
in just about every way; stronger, heavier so less heat buildup, less
likely to bind in a deep hole. Is there any task the hole saw would be
better at?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Roy Smith
wrote:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote:

Lee Valley has two 4" sawtooth forstner bits. One is $27.00 and the other
is $40.00

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

They've also got a 4" hole saw:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42316

for $22 ($34 if you don't already have the mandril). So, the question is,
given these prices, is there any reason you would want the hole saw in
preference to the saw-tooth bit? I would think the bit would be superior
in just about every way; stronger, heavier so less heat buildup, less
likely to bind in a deep hole. Is there any task the hole saw would be
better at?

I wouldn't want to use a 4" bit in a hand held drill if I wanted a
precise hole.

I'd use a saw to rough out the hole, then a router with a guide bushing
and template.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:030720061750384512%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

I wouldn't want to use a 4" bit in a hand held drill if I wanted a
precise hole.

Agreed

I'd use a saw to rough out the hole, then a router with a guide bushing
and template.

I'd use the router for the whole job. Save making the template.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . net, CW
wrote:

I'd use the router for the whole job. Save making the template.

Good point.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote in

wrote:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote:

Lee Valley has two 4" sawtooth forstner bits. One is $27.00 and the
other is $40.00

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

They've also got a 4" hole saw:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42316

for $22 ($34 if you don't already have the mandril). So, the question
is, given these prices, is there any reason you would want the hole saw
in preference to the saw-tooth bit? I would think the bit would be
superior in just about every way; stronger, heavier so less heat
buildup, less likely to bind in a deep hole. Is there any task the
hole saw would be better at?

I wouldn't want to use a 4" bit in a hand held drill if I wanted a
precise hole.

I'd use a saw to rough out the hole, then a router with a guide bushing
and template.

I used a 3" bit in a hand held drill and the holes were quite accutate. I
think I will post a picture of what I was drilling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I wouldn't want to use a 4" bit in a hand held drill if I wanted a
precise hole.

I'd use a saw to rough out the hole, then a router with a guide bushing
and template.

I used a 3" bit in a hand held drill and the holes were quite accutate. I
think I will post a picture of what I was drilling.

I used upto a 6" hole saw for such things, clamp a sheet of metal top
and bottom to help guide (pilot the top one) and support edges, worked a
treat everytime.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"badger.badger" wrote in
:

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I wouldn't want to use a 4" bit in a hand held drill if I wanted a
precise hole.

I'd use a saw to rough out the hole, then a router with a guide
bushing and template.

I used a 3" bit in a hand held drill and the holes were quite accutate.
I think I will post a picture of what I was drilling.

I used upto a 6" hole saw for such things, clamp a sheet of metal top
and bottom to help guide (pilot the top one) and support edges, worked a
treat everytime.

I cut mine without such things. I do have to admit that the bit from Lee
Valley was excellent. Slised thru that venerred MDF like a rotary plane.
It sliced the veneer so cleanly I was amazed. I expected the veneer to
break and chip. It did neither. There was some breakage of the veneer on
the exit side wut without a drill press it is to be expected. I am not
sure about running a 4" bit in a hand drill as I have not tried it. 3" was
so easy that I expect that the 4" would be no issue.