Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Drill 4" hole through 1" wood desk

On 2 Jul 2006 18:52:33 -0700, wrote:

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

How good does the hole have to be? Is it buried in the back behind the
monitor? Is it going to be trimmed out with an escutcheon plate? If
either of those is the case, I say just cut it with a jig...oops,
saber saw and be done with it. One of the modern saws (particularly
the Bosch), when handled carefully with a straight (as opposed to
oscillating) cut and a fine tooth blade should be able to render a
hole as nice as you can follow a line. Plenty good enough if one of
the above conditions applies.

If it needs to be purty, use a well crafted template and a router.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.