Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Drill 4" hole through 1" wood desk

You've already got several good suggestions. Here's how I'd do it if I wanted a good looking edge.

1. Using fly cutter, make a 4 inch diameter hole in a piece of 1/4 hardboard to make a pattern.
2. Trace hole where you want it on the wood using said pattern
3 Drill a starter hole and cut out the circle INSIDE the line using a saber saw (I'm working on my
geezerhood - a good jig saw can't be held in one hand, but a saber saw can.)
4. Align hardboard pattern back over traced line and hold it in place using double sided tape.
5. Use flush trim bit in router with the hardboard as a pattern to smooth up the cut edges. Maybe
come back with a round-over or chamfer bit to take the sharp edge off the top of the hole.

YMMV, especially if you don't have much experience climb cutting with a router, or leave the amount
of wood to clean up too thick. DAMHIKT.

Regards,
Roy

On 2 Jul 2006 18:52:33 -0700, wrote:

Hi.

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

Thanks.