Posted to rec.woodworking
R. Pierce Butler R. Pierce Butler is offline

Default Drill 4" hole through 1" wood desk

Tex wrote in news:K%_pg.78720$4L1.72021
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

In article .com,
says...
Hi.

Any recommendations on how to drill a 4" hole in a 1" thick wood
desktop? I havent been able to find any 4" drill bits out there.

Thanks.

You could use a 4" Forstner, but there're a couple of problems: (1) a
Forstner that size is going to run upwards of $200, maybe closer to
$300; and (2) I wouldn't want to be on the end of a hand drill trying to
hold on if one of those suckers got stuck. (I assume here that you're
going to have to use a hand drill rather than be able to position the
cut for a drill press.)

Another solution is to use a 4" hole saw. It won't make as clean a cut
as a Forstner but it's a BUNCH cheaper, but it can wrestle you around if
you're not careful. If you drill a pilot hole and carefully and
squarely begin the cut (LIGHTLY) you oughta be able to pull it off OK --
maybe practice a couple of times on scrap.

Lee Valley has two 4" sawtooth forstner bits. One is $27.00 and the other
is $40.00

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240