Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New woodworking machinery company

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26320

I guess we can all start our own woodworking machinery company. You
just need a lot of cash, you pay yourself a trip to China, you pick
your suppliers and you pick your "company official color". Sorry,
yellow, red, gray, green, blue, white are already taken. You get your
containers full of Chinese made tools back in America and you start
selling them.

Do we need another company like that?

Cyberben

Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

wrote in
ups.com:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...eArticle.aspx?
id=26320

I guess we can all start our own woodworking machinery company. You
just need a lot of cash, you pay yourself a trip to China, you pick
your suppliers and you pick your "company official color". Sorry,
yellow, red, gray, green, blue, white are already taken. You get your
containers full of Chinese made tools back in America and you start
selling them.

Do we need another company like that?

Cyberben

What kind of company would you like to see?

Starting from scratch with the marketing, sales & tech support, there are a
lot of risks to take. How are you going to leverage a full line
manufacturing facility at the same time? And get all those capabilities up
to speed and quality at the beginning?

It's tough enough to get started when you have dealer relationships on
which you can draw.

Or should we all just buy Ryobi now?

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26320

I guess we can all start our own woodworking machinery company. You
just need a lot of cash, you pay yourself a trip to China, you pick
your suppliers and you pick your "company official color". Sorry,
yellow, red, gray, green, blue, white are already taken. You get your
containers full of Chinese made tools back in America and you start
selling them.

Do we need another company like that?

Cyberben

I applaud them. Its a huge risk to start a new company. Particularly when
a large part of the market has in it some real cheap junk masquerading as
tools. It seems to me, by reading some of the threads here, that a
significant number of woodworkers buy solely on price.

I will hope Steel City Tools Works succeeds, manufacturers and services a
quality product. However, if they just introduce a different colored
chinwanese machine, they are doomed. IMHO

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On 2 Jun 2006 10:28:33 -0700, wrote:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26320

I guess we can all start our own woodworking machinery company. You
just need a lot of cash, you pay yourself a trip to China, you pick
your suppliers and you pick your "company official color". Sorry,
yellow, red, gray, green, blue, white are already taken. You get your
containers full of Chinese made tools back in America and you start
selling them.

Do we need another company like that?

Although there is something to some of that, it probably would help to
have a ton of expertise in the industry, which the founders of the
company appear to have in spades--if you count high level positions at
Delta and Powermatic as expertise.

Elllis Walentine (no lightweight in the industry himself) wrote an
exclusive report on the rollout, which you can read he

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...es_766.s html

Several of the WoodCentral folks have already suggested some things,
which I'm sure will be fed back to the company. I like the looks of
the oscillating spindle sander which, if the price is right, will keep
me from having to buy anything from Grizzly.

Unfortunately, they have arrived too late for me as I already have
most of the major tools that I need, but you guys have a ball.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26320

Do we need another company like that?

Why do you ask? With all the bitching about Delta and Jet getting weaker
with their products, a company that wants to be innovative and focus on what
woodworkers really want should be welcomed. . Sounds like the real
innovation will be the second generation machines, but they are able to hit
the present market with some good iron. Worth looking at their offerings.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On 2 Jun 2006 10:28:33 -0700, wrote:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26320

I guess we can all start our own woodworking machinery company. You
just need a lot of cash, you pay yourself a trip to China, you pick
your suppliers and you pick your "company official color". Sorry,
yellow, red, gray, green, blue, white are already taken. You get your
containers full of Chinese made tools back in America and you start
selling them.

Do we need another company like that?

Probably not- but if they raise the bar even a little, it can't hurt.
Better than a continued decline, at any rate.

FWIW, I haven't used them, but I took a strong look at the Orion tools
at Sears, and they seemed pretty decent. The only thing that turned
me off was that they used odd sizes for most things, and not even
Sears sold the accessories. If it's the same guy that started it
along with some Jet and Delta folks, it could be a good thing. I know
my wood supplier broke off and formed his own company, and his product
line is similar, but the hours, prices and general feel of the place
is greatly improved.

Though I'd agree I'd rather see them start a factory in the US.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On 2 Jun 2006 10:28:33 -0700, wrote:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26320

I guess we can all start our own woodworking machinery company. You
just need a lot of cash, you pay yourself a trip to China, you pick
your suppliers and you pick your "company official color". Sorry,
yellow, red, gray, green, blue, white are already taken. You get your
containers full of Chinese made tools back in America and you start
selling them.

Do we need another company like that?

Cyberben

I personally know all of the principles in this company and in my
opinion they are the very best in the industry. They definitely have
the best machinery guy who had experience with both Delta and
Powermatic.

I hope their experience and knowledge leads to good machines and
success for them.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I personally know all of the principles in this company

I hope the principals have lots of them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 12:08:59 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I personally know all of the principles in this company

I hope the principals have lots of them.

Got me. Just got in from running a 5K. Did well, but blood not back
up to my brain yet.

and they do.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 12:08:59 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I personally know all of the principles in this company

I hope the principals have lots of them.

Got me. Just got in from running a 5K. Did well, but blood not back
up to my brain yet.

I figured it was cuz of your MBA. g, d &r

and they do.

Good to hear ... just joshing you a little, Frank. Your posts are some of
the best on the wRec and your expertise/knowledge with the Delta stuff is
invaluable.

Thanks ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess this will be a real test of what we say and what we do. IF,
IF, they turn out a better product and it costs a little more, it will
be interesting to see if the general public supports it by buying it.
Plenty of good products are no longer available because of price point
objections by the public.

I think it could go either way. According to the manager of our local
Woodcraft sales of the big machines has definitely gone down. Is it
that people will buy nothing if they think their money isn't buying
value, or is it that the market is reaching saturation? Maybe even
lack of interest? They sure don't know the answer, but the guy owns 5
stores here in TX, so I am sure they will be watching this as closely
as anyone else. Their table saw sales have gone from 3 - 5 a week per
store to 1 -2, sometimes none!

Hobby guys keep the table saw, bandsaw, big lathe market alive. When
the woodworking fad fades again, so do the sales of those machines. I
still remember when the radial saw (mid 70s ?) was the only tool needed
in a shop. Or at least that was the way it was marketed. They will
work hard to create a new market or interest just they way they have
with the interest in all things "lathe" over the last few years.

As for me, I can't for the life of me figure out what the next new "it"
tool will be.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess this will be a real test of what we say and what we do. IF,
IF, they turn out a better product and it costs a little more, it will
be interesting to see if the general public supports it by buying it.
Plenty of good products are no longer available because of price point
objections by the public.

I think it could go either way. According to the manager of our local
Woodcraft sales of the big machines has definitely gone down. Is it
that people will buy nothing if they think their money isn't buying
value, or is it that the market is reaching saturation? Maybe even
lack of interest? They sure don't know the answer, but the guy owns 5
stores here in TX, so I am sure they will be watching this as closely
as anyone else. Their table saw sales have gone from 3 - 5 a week per
store to 1 -2, sometimes none!

Perhaps the increasing number of competitive businesses and bench top tools
offered by the name big name brands.
Car dealerships went through this also in the 70's and 80's. You cant sell
only 1 or 2 brands. If you want 40% of the potential market you need to
offer 40 % of the brands offering big equipment. IIRC Woodcraft offers Jet,
Powermatic, and Delta and those certainly are a good mix but there is also,
Craftsman, OneWay, Nova, Grizzly, Rikon, DeWalt, B&D, Hitachi, Makita,
Laguna, MiniMax which all offer some competitive products in their
respective markets. Then add in house brands.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
(in
) said:

| As for me, I can't for the life of me figure out what the next new
| "it" tool will be.

[from elsethread]

Keep your eyes peeled for a motorized wench...

LOL..

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

(in
.com) said:

| As for me, I can't for the life of me figure out what the next new
| "it" tool will be.

[from elsethread]

Keep your eyes peeled for a motorized wench...

Inflatable?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Leon"
Perhaps the increasing number of competitive businesses and bench top
tools offered by the name big name brands.
Car dealerships went through this also in the 70's and 80's. You cant
sell only 1 or 2 brands. If you want 40% of the potential market you need
to offer 40 % of the brands offering big equipment. IIRC Woodcraft offers
Jet, Powermatic, and Delta and those certainly are a good mix but there is
also, Craftsman, OneWay, Nova, Grizzly, Rikon, DeWalt, B&D, Hitachi,
Makita, Laguna, MiniMax which all offer some competitive products in their
respective markets. Then add in house brands.

Were still at it. Our group has 7 franchise lines. 3 Domestic 4 Imports.
The woodworking market, I believe, can stand more products as long as they
offer something the others don't.
I think of the drum sander line. Performax seems to be the dominate brand
and for good reason. I would think at least one of the other manufacturers
would be able to come up with a better product yet still remain competitive.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
(in
.com) said:

| As for me, I can't for the life of me figure out what the next new
| "it" tool will be.

[from elsethread]

Keep your eyes peeled for a motorized wench...

Will it come in a stripped-down model, for those of us on a budget?

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 10:21:54 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

(in
.com) said:

| As for me, I can't for the life of me figure out what the next new
| "it" tool will be.

[from elsethread]

Keep your eyes peeled for a motorized wench...

That makes Mr. Johnson shrink just thinking about it...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Henry St.Pierre

"Morris Dovey" wrote in news:iYCgg.12$AO1.3315
@news.uswest.net:

(in
) said:

| As for me, I can't for the life of me figure out what the next new
| "it" tool will be.

[from elsethread]

Keep your eyes peeled for a motorized wench...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

I remember when I tried to patent an electric fork to go along with the
electric knife. After that experience I gave up on the electric spoon.
Hank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

A link to some information on the new company.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm

Posted to rec.woodworking
KENDALL SEYBERT

Hmmm....
The last time I saw "Steel City" stamped on something, it was a galvanized
electrical outlet box. They must be moving up in the world....
--Jim

.142...