Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Default OT - Veterans Affairs Data Security (not...)

I know there are a number of veteran's in this newsgroup and I'm sure you've
all heard the news about the SOB that lost 26.5 million veteran's records.
I'll not vent about it here but you need to protect yourselves - just in
case.

Start here http://www.firstgov.gov/index.shtml several good links to steer
you to the Credit companies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion)

Do place a 90 day Fraud Alert on your credit records and contact your bank /
Credit Unions / Credit Card company's and invoke any fraud guards they have.

I was the victim of identity theft back in the 70's while in the service.
They caught the dude, but he still caused me a heap of trouble that took
about 6 months to get straightened out - no fun.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"BobS" wrote:

I was the victim of identity theft back in the 70's while in the service.
They caught the dude, but he still caused me a heap of trouble that took
about 6 months to get straightened out - no fun.

Not to mention that sense of having been violated. That only happened to
me once when somebody took a receipt from the garbage at a restaurant
and charged $ 4000.00 worth of furniture on my account.
It was settled quickly, but it left a nasty after-taste in my mouth
which took a long time to purge.
It's a problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick S. Carusi

"BobS" wrote in message
I know there are a number of veteran's in this newsgroup and I'm sure
you've all heard the news about the SOB that lost 26.5 million veteran's
records. I'll not vent about it here but you need to protect yourselves -
just in case.

Start here http://www.firstgov.gov/index.shtml several good links to steer
you to the Credit companies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion)

Do place a 90 day Fraud Alert on your credit records and contact your bank
/ Credit Unions / Credit Card company's and invoke any fraud guards they
have.

I was the victim of identity theft back in the 70's while in the service.
They caught the dude, but he still caused me a heap of trouble that took
about 6 months to get straightened out - no fun.

Bob S.
Seems there is a good side, well sorta...only effects vets who severed
after '79. Pay attention to what BobS said.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Seems there is a good side, well sorta...only effects vets who severed
after '79. Pay attention to what BobS said.

Rick,

They have changed that and it now effects even those before 1975 according
to the link I provided in my first post. If it's changed again (to '79)
then I haven't heard or read that as of yesterday. I got all my fraud
alerts and the wife's (dependent's are also involved) in-place. Not a big
deal to get it done and involves a phone call to an automated system for the
credit report - about 4 minutes of answering questions... "Say or press 1
for a yes, or 2 for no..." type replies.

I did vent to the VA though......I feel better but I'm sure the dude or
dudess that reads the email is gonna choke on their coffee this morning. I
fully expect my next check to be bent, buckled or otherwise distorted over
that one.....;-)

TGIF,

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"BobS" wrote:

I was the victim of identity theft back in the 70's while in the service.
They caught the dude, but he still caused me a heap of trouble that took
about 6 months to get straightened out - no fun.

Not to mention that sense of having been violated. That only happened to
me once when somebody took a receipt from the garbage at a restaurant
and charged $ 4000.00 worth of furniture on my account.
It was settled quickly, but it left a nasty after-taste in my mouth
which took a long time to purge.
It's a problem.

That would tend to leave a bad taste in any ones mouth. I'm watching our
accounts like a hawk and have implemented safeguards as per the
recommendations. Not much else you can do except bitch at the VA at this
point - which I did....

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"BobS" wrote in message

They have changed that and it now effects even those before 1975 according
to the link I provided in my first post.

Interestingly, your service number was your SSAN for a number of years, and
the PX required it on you check when it wasn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

"George" George@least wrote in message

Interestingly, your service number was your SSAN for a number of years,
and the PX required it on you check when it wasn't.

Another old fart.....;-) Now - can you remember your original service
number?

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"BobS" wrote in message

"George" George@least wrote in message

Interestingly, your service number was your SSAN for a number of years,
and the PX required it on you check when it wasn't.

Another old fart.....;-) Now - can you remember your original service
number?

Yes.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han

"BobS" wrote in
:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"BobS" wrote:

I was the victim of identity theft back in the 70's while in the
service. They caught the dude, but he still caused me a heap of
trouble that took about 6 months to get straightened out - no fun.

Not to mention that sense of having been violated. That only happened
to me once when somebody took a receipt from the garbage at a
restaurant and charged $ 4000.00 worth of furniture on my account.
It was settled quickly, but it left a nasty after-taste in my mouth
which took a long time to purge.
It's a problem.

That would tend to leave a bad taste in any ones mouth. I'm watching
our accounts like a hawk and have implemented safeguards as per the
recommendations. Not much else you can do except bitch at the VA at
this point - which I did....

Bob S.

Maybe I'm too simple, but I don't understand how and why this info was
taken home. I work in the VA, although my pay comes from a university.
I'm what they call WOC (WithOut Compensation), which has the advantage
that I don't feel the least inhibited when I get a desire to tell the
chief of research what I think. But that's OT.

We get emails galore and at least once a year training about the
importance of data security. Yet there isn't a system to watch what goes
out the door?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"BobS" wrote in message

"George" George@least wrote in message

Interestingly, your service number was your SSAN for a number of years,
and the PX required it on you check when it wasn't.

Another old fart.....;-) Now - can you remember your original service
number?

Certainly. Still have my picture from basic, too. Has the number
underneath.

I was lucky enough to have had four service numbers.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"BobS" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

Interestingly, your service number was your SSAN for a number of years,
and the PX required it on you check when it wasn't.

Another old fart.....;-) Now - can you remember your original service
number?

Yes.

Ditto ... after having to sound it off for three times a day for 8 weeks
before you could get in the chow hall door (after running/crawling the
obstacle course to said door), there is no way I'll ever forget it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

OT - Betting On Social Security? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 148 December 12th 05 06:25 AM
Too good to be true? Gene T Woodworking 222 August 2nd 05 10:03 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
FS: Semiconductor Data Books [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 April 28th 04 10:02 PM