Posted to rec.woodworking
Han

Default OT - Veterans Affairs Data Security (not...)

"BobS" wrote in
:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"BobS" wrote:

I was the victim of identity theft back in the 70's while in the
service. They caught the dude, but he still caused me a heap of
trouble that took about 6 months to get straightened out - no fun.

Not to mention that sense of having been violated. That only happened
to me once when somebody took a receipt from the garbage at a
restaurant and charged $ 4000.00 worth of furniture on my account.
It was settled quickly, but it left a nasty after-taste in my mouth
which took a long time to purge.
It's a problem.

That would tend to leave a bad taste in any ones mouth. I'm watching
our accounts like a hawk and have implemented safeguards as per the
recommendations. Not much else you can do except bitch at the VA at
this point - which I did....

Bob S.

Maybe I'm too simple, but I don't understand how and why this info was
taken home. I work in the VA, although my pay comes from a university.
I'm what they call WOC (WithOut Compensation), which has the advantage
that I don't feel the least inhibited when I get a desire to tell the
chief of research what I think. But that's OT.

We get emails galore and at least once a year training about the
importance of data security. Yet there isn't a system to watch what goes
out the door?

--
Best regards
Han