Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Default Building a small workbench - Advice needed

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a small workbench for my shop. The shop is only
8' x10', so space is at a minimum. I usually just build small boxes for
magician's props - usually under 2'x2', so I don't need much space.

I'm thinking a 2'x4' bench top would work well, but I am concerned the
bench will be too light to work well. I like to dimension my own wood
with hand planes, so I would like the bench to be pretty stable. It
doesn't need a lot of accessories - just one vise on the front and a
sliding stop on both ends.

Can anyone forsee any issues I may run into with a small workbench or
does anyone have any advice concerning the weight issue?

Thanks,
Richard
http://www.smallmiraclesentertainment.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Clint

If you're concerned about the bench being too light, either anchor it to the
wall and/or the floor, or add sand-bags or cement for weight. Stability
doesn't have to come from a massive top.

Clint

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a small workbench for my shop. The shop is only
8' x10', so space is at a minimum. I usually just build small boxes for
magician's props - usually under 2'x2', so I don't need much space.

I'm thinking a 2'x4' bench top would work well, but I am concerned the
bench will be too light to work well. I like to dimension my own wood
with hand planes, so I would like the bench to be pretty stable. It
doesn't need a lot of accessories - just one vise on the front and a
sliding stop on both ends.

Can anyone forsee any issues I may run into with a small workbench or
does anyone have any advice concerning the weight issue?

Thanks,
Richard
http://www.smallmiraclesentertainment.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Unfortunately, I'm not able to anchor it to either the wall or floor. I
think using cement in the base would work well.

Thanks,
Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 3 May 2006 15:07:29 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a small workbench for my shop. The shop is only
8' x10', so space is at a minimum. I usually just build small boxes for
magician's props - usually under 2'x2', so I don't need much space.

I'm thinking a 2'x4' bench top would work well, but I am concerned the
bench will be too light to work well. I like to dimension my own wood
with hand planes, so I would like the bench to be pretty stable. It
doesn't need a lot of accessories - just one vise on the front and a
sliding stop on both ends.

Can anyone forsee any issues I may run into with a small workbench or
does anyone have any advice concerning the weight issue?

The main part of my bench is 2'x4', but I have extensions on both the
width and length so it's overall about 32"x60", but the legs are on
the 2'x4'

I have a page about it he http://krtwood.com/bench.html

Since you have a small shop it's important to make use of the space
under the bench. Why load it up with dead weight when you can load it
up with tools and lumber?

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Thanks for the help! It looks like you use the same clamping system I
use

Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking
keith_nuttle

I made my work bench out of 2 X 4. It consist of the top which is 24" X
48" plywood set into a 2X4 frame half lapped on the 4 inch dimensions.

There are two shelves made by setting plywood in to a 2X4 frames half
lapped on the 2 inch dimension.

The legs are 2X4 half lapped around the shelves and top. The weight of
the top and shelves is supported by the half lap on the leg.

The ends are enclosed for storage.

While this is not unique construction the workbench is on four wheels so
it can be moved about the small shop so it is in the best position for
the project that I am working on.

Additionally since it is a small shop, the height of the bench is the
same as my table saw so it can be an out feed to support plywood or for
ripping long boards.

The work bench is sturdy and with tools on the two shelves, and while it
can be positioned for the project, it does not wander about the shop
when you are working on it.

Richard wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a small workbench for my shop. The shop is only
8' x10', so space is at a minimum. I usually just build small boxes for
magician's props - usually under 2'x2', so I don't need much space.

I'm thinking a 2'x4' bench top would work well, but I am concerned the
bench will be too light to work well. I like to dimension my own wood
with hand planes, so I would like the bench to be pretty stable. It
doesn't need a lot of accessories - just one vise on the front and a
sliding stop on both ends.

Can anyone forsee any issues I may run into with a small workbench or
does anyone have any advice concerning the weight issue?

Thanks,
Richard
http://www.smallmiraclesentertainment.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Richard wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a small workbench for my shop. The shop is only
8' x10', so space is at a minimum. I usually just build small boxes for
magician's props - usually under 2'x2', so I don't need much space.

you might want to consider putting a plate in it to allow you to
convert it into a router table as well (if space is at a premium). The
idea to make it the same height as the table saw (so it can be an
infeed/outfeed table) is a good one. I have a big assembly table/bench
permanently behind my table saw for an outfeed table.
It's a good idea to make the outfeed table about 1/4" less in height
than the table saw, IMO.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Thanks everyone! Good thinking about sizing it to work as an outfeed
table for the tablesaw.

Richard