Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Building a small workbench - Advice needed

On 3 May 2006 15:07:29 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a small workbench for my shop. The shop is only
8' x10', so space is at a minimum. I usually just build small boxes for
magician's props - usually under 2'x2', so I don't need much space.

I'm thinking a 2'x4' bench top would work well, but I am concerned the
bench will be too light to work well. I like to dimension my own wood
with hand planes, so I would like the bench to be pretty stable. It
doesn't need a lot of accessories - just one vise on the front and a
sliding stop on both ends.

Can anyone forsee any issues I may run into with a small workbench or
does anyone have any advice concerning the weight issue?

The main part of my bench is 2'x4', but I have extensions on both the
width and length so it's overall about 32"x60", but the legs are on
the 2'x4'

I have a page about it he http://krtwood.com/bench.html

Since you have a small shop it's important to make use of the space
under the bench. Why load it up with dead weight when you can load it
up with tools and lumber?

-Leuf