Posted to rec.woodworking
keith_nuttle

Default Building a small workbench - Advice needed

I made my work bench out of 2 X 4. It consist of the top which is 24" X
48" plywood set into a 2X4 frame half lapped on the 4 inch dimensions.

There are two shelves made by setting plywood in to a 2X4 frames half
lapped on the 2 inch dimension.

The legs are 2X4 half lapped around the shelves and top. The weight of
the top and shelves is supported by the half lap on the leg.

The ends are enclosed for storage.

While this is not unique construction the workbench is on four wheels so
it can be moved about the small shop so it is in the best position for
the project that I am working on.

Additionally since it is a small shop, the height of the bench is the
same as my table saw so it can be an out feed to support plywood or for
ripping long boards.

The work bench is sturdy and with tools on the two shelves, and while it
can be positioned for the project, it does not wander about the shop
when you are working on it.

Richard wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a small workbench for my shop. The shop is only
8' x10', so space is at a minimum. I usually just build small boxes for
magician's props - usually under 2'x2', so I don't need much space.

I'm thinking a 2'x4' bench top would work well, but I am concerned the
bench will be too light to work well. I like to dimension my own wood
with hand planes, so I would like the bench to be pretty stable. It
doesn't need a lot of accessories - just one vise on the front and a
sliding stop on both ends.

Can anyone forsee any issues I may run into with a small workbench or
does anyone have any advice concerning the weight issue?

Thanks,
Richard
http://www.smallmiraclesentertainment.com