Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Houston area: Custom Molding needed

My house was built in 1978 and has the cabinet doors made with plywood,
3/8" inset, and a simple molding around all four sides of the door.

I want to reconfigure one area of the cabinets in the kitchen. This
will require four new doors. This should be an easy job, except for
the molding. I cannot find matching molding in the borgs and I cannot
find any router bit or bits that can be used to make the molding.

Can someone recommend an old lumber yard source that would still have
this style molding or someone who could make some. I really don't need
but about 16 linear feet of the molding so I can afford (and expect) to
pay very high price per foot to get exactly what I need.

If you have any suggestions about how to go about making it myself, i
am open to that as well. I am always looking for new excuses to get
more tools. I figure I will need at least a Laguna 16HD bandsaw like
Leon got. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave In WA

Look for millwork or woodworking millwork in the yellow pages or web search
engine. Near me (Seattle WA) we have 2 mill shops with custom profiles,
either made to order or I get to use the one made for your job after you pay
to have the blade made. Both sources also sell hardwood, so maybe call them
too.

As for making from scratch, you might be able to do multiple passes on a
router table (shaper etc), say a "cove" fallowed by part of a "bead" then a
pass on the table saw to size width...you get the picture.

Option B: buy all new doors, many sources, unassembled or assembled,
finished or not.

you could post a digital image/drawing on then companion to this group
(alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking)...and what ever you not do not search
for different newsgroups with the word "nude"...lot's of trouble there.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow... sixteen feet of molding. Not much. I would agree with Dave,
look for a millwork place around you that specializes in woods,
moldings, etc. You may find what you want in a catalogue. Be sure to
identify the wood you want to match as some woods are not available in
all molding profiles.

If I am picturing the type of doors you are describing correctly they
were probably hand built somewhere at a small cabinet shop or by the
contractor. If that is the case, the profile is probably not too
unusual.

Nice try at the box stores, but they simply aren't trained to know
anything about moldings.

If you strike out, try the old famous Google search. I hit "molding
profiles" and got a lot of good hits.

Good luck!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message

Try The Detering Company on Washington Ave 713-869-3761, for starters.
Better yet, visit them as it is worth a trip over there for any woodworker
to see their woodworking operation. Catch their yearly open house and you
can get a tour of the shop.

I use them for all the trim and molding in the houses I build and know that
they will do custom, but for that small amount it would be pretty expensive.

They do, however, have an extensive catalog of profiles and you may well be
able to match your trim as it may even have come from them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
New Wave Dave

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...
Bison on the West Belt, South bound side between Hammerly and I-10.

Mason's Mill & Lumber on Tanner will make custom profiles but it's
pretty pricey unless you can use 200 feet or so.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...

Can someone recommend an old lumber yard source that would still have
this style molding or someone who could make some.

Thanks to everyone! I will begin the search tomorrow using the suggestions
I received.

Bob

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Typical/average floor area to ground area ration for a house? [email protected] UK diy 6 September 22nd 04 03:29 PM
FS: Delta 11-990, 12" Drill press, Houston, area Darrell Woodworking 0 March 16th 04 05:04 PM
Pinging: All Wreckers regarding nutcase posting as me, Bay Area Dave. Puff Griffis Woodworking 40 March 13th 04 02:01 AM
Attic Ventilation Expert Needed - North NJ Area jeff Home Repair 11 March 12th 04 10:35 AM