Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

Default JET bandsaw update

As I wrote earlier, my new 14" JET bandsaw arrived with the wheels about
1/4" out of plane, though the saw cut well. However, the blade was not
square to the table in the direction of cut. I created a web page to
show the JET tech what was going on.

See:

http://www.eclipsme.com/bandsaw.htm

The tech thought that the riser block may have been machined badly,
which I didn't believe as the saw had the problem before I put the riser
block in. However, he offered to send me a new one, which I accepted.

Sure enough, there was no improvement, but I took the opportunity of
having 2 riser blocks to experiment on one.

As mentioned here, I though of cutting off the pins to allow me to
adjust the upper part of the saw, but somebody on this group (sorry, I
don't remember who) pointed out that it could be dangerous if the bolt
loosened for any reason as there would be nothing to stop the upper part
of the saw from twisting around the bolt.

So instead, I drilled new locater holes in the riser block 1/4" offset.
after installing it so the upper part is now 1/4" further back than
originally, the wheels are ever so close to being coplaner, the blade is
square, and I just re-sawed some 5" southern yellow pine into 1/8"
veneers, plus or minus 1/16" (thicknesses from 1/16 - 3/16") which I
considered very good indeed. The surface is also much cleaner than I had
before, though that could be due to better guide setup.

I don't have any idea why the saw was designed this way, but I am very
happy with the solution. I can recommend this saw to others, but with
the caveat that you may want to either perform the same modification, or
perhaps shim the bottom wheel out. BTW - tech okeyed shimming, and
promised it wouldn't affect the warranty. I was concerned about the
wheel riding 1/4" further out on the shaft, with added wear. Anyway, I
am now happy with what I have.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions.

Harvey

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie H.

I just saw this new thread after my last post in the original.
Glad to hear you are pleased with your saw now.

Regards,
Charlie

"eclipsme" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Harvey, my hat is off to you. I would never have had the patience to
do what you did, nor would I feel like it was my responisibilty to make
a usable saw out of a brand new piece of equipment. I would expect
that much from HF, but not from Jet.

Shame on Jet for letting you do that, too. Have they no pride? HF
tools are sometimes "kit tools" but NOT Jet. In the old days, it was
"take the tool back where you bought it and we will authorized an
exchange for a new one". Jet did that for me twice when they were
working the kinks our of their mini lathe, and they replaced an entire
drill press for one of my friends.

Of all the humiliation.... I cannot believe you did this, or had to do
this, or were talking to someone so far out of the game that you needed
to do this:

I created a web page to show the JET tech what was going on.

Good for you that you got what you wanted. I might still be fighting
that fight (and NO DOUBT losing it), and would never be satisfied after
that as I would think I found only the obvious stuff that was not
right. Jet is lucky to have you for a customer.

And as for Jet... shame on them.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"eclipsme" wrote in message

I don't have any idea why the saw was designed this way, but I am very
happy with the solution.

Once again, Jet claims they designed the saw this way. Whether or not it is
just an excuse for sloppy casting and assembly, it is apparently a known
problem with those who deal in modern 14" bandsaws. I was warned about it
four or five years ago when I went to upgrade from an older Craftsman.

I can recommend this saw to others, but with
the caveat that you may want to either perform the same modification, or
perhaps shim the bottom wheel out. BTW - tech okeyed shimming, and
promised it wouldn't affect the warranty. I was concerned about the
wheel riding 1/4" further out on the shaft, with added wear. Anyway, I
am now happy with what I have.

And again, shimming the bottom wheel on the Jet is what Louis Iturra of
Iturra Design recommends to overcome Jet's "design" ... everything you
mention is covered in his "catalog", plus much more, and would have saved
you some time.

Now that you've 'rebuilt the wheel' so to speak, and once again, do yourself
a favor and get the Iturra "catalog" ... if you own a 14" Delta, Grizzly, or
Jet, you will learn more about your saw than you know now, even after your
modification.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Thorsted

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:34:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

"eclipsme" wrote in message

[...]

Does Iturra Design have a website? Cannot find one with a search. If not,
how you get the catalog?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Paul Thorsted" wrote in message

Does Iturra Design have a website? Cannot find one with a search. If not,
how you get the catalog?

Inexplicably no, but give them a call and ask them to send you the catalog:

1-888-722-7078

It is a resource that every owner of a 14" Jet, Delta, or Grizzly, who is
interested in getting the maximum benefit from their saw, should take
advantage of.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

Swingman wrote:
"eclipsme" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, when you first mentioned this, I did order the catalog, by
email, but have received nothing. Perhaps I should look up the phone
number and order by phone.

Thanks,
Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

Swingman wrote:
"Paul Thorsted" wrote in message

Does Iturra Design have a website? Cannot find one with a search. If not,
how you get the catalog?

Inexplicably no, but give them a call and ask them to send you the catalog:

1-888-722-7078

It is a resource that every owner of a 14" Jet, Delta, or Grizzly, who is
interested in getting the maximum benefit from their saw, should take
advantage of.

OK. Just left a message in their machine.

Thanks,
Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

eclipsme wrote:
Swingman wrote:

[get the Iturra catalog, snipped]

Actually, when you first mentioned this, I did order the catalog, by
email, but have received nothing. Perhaps I should look up the phone
number and order by phone.

It took awhile when I ordered it, as well. There was something about
either a move or spring holiday, can't remember, but it does arrive
eventually.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking

eclipsme wrote:

But humiliation? Nah! Why would I be humiliated. Perhaps JET, but not
me.

Thanks,
Harvey

I was not clear. There should be no sense of humiliation on your part.
ONLY on Jet's. As Swingman pointed out, Jet claims to have designed
the saw this way, out of alignment. To me, this makes as much sense as
saying that GM designed cars with their front ends out of alignment.
They may have, but it sure wasn't for our benefit.

And the humiliating part was that you had to take pictures and talk to
some nitwit about a problem that is apparently quite well known. They
were unable, unaware, or too stupid to grasp this problem which again
has obviously been around long enough for the woodworking community to
have their own workaround available.

I would be terribly embarassed if one of my clients showed me how to
flash a chimney properly or how to cope molding. Humiliation wouldn't
cover it for me.

I am not averse to setting up or tuning up a machine. That is
expected; it is a long way from China. But to the extent you had to do
it would be too much time and downright annoyance.

Robert