Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default New Rikon 18"-er Bandsaw Update

I have been messing around with my new bandsaw (Rikon 10-345) and fine
tuning the guides and the heavy vibration that I had initially is gone.
Just a gentle hum now. My thrust bearings were set to far forward and they
were trying to push the blade forward as it ran and caused it to vibrate
like a mo fo.

This is an awesome machine. I was a little discouraged when I read people
knocking this saw, but I think it does great job.

The top wheel does have a little flex in it when you grab it at 3 and 9
o'clock, but I don't see it effecting the blade at all. I first heard about
this grab at 3 and 9 o'clock from the Laguna video I ordered when I was
considering there saw. Mr. Laguna states in the DVD that you should not buy
a band saw if the upper wheel wiggles when grabbed at 3 and 9 o'clock. I am
convinced now that this is nothing short of a marketing gimmick.

I bought and installed a 1/4" Timberwolf blade from Woodcraft tonight and so
far it performs excellent.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

The top wheel does have a little flex in it when

When I say "flex" I do not mean "bend". Poor choice of words.

It rocks a little.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Stoutman wrote: snipMr. Laguna states in the DVD that you should not
buy
a band saw if the upper wheel wiggles when grabbed at 3 and 9 o'clock.
I am
convinced now that this is nothing short of a marketing gimmick. snip

Hmm, You may be right. I wonder if Laguna was trying to use gyroscopic
precession as a possible caveat. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...

Snip

Mr. Laguna states in the DVD that you should not buy
a band saw if the upper wheel wiggles when grabbed at 3 and 9 o'clock. I
am convinced now that this is nothing short of a marketing gimmick.

I bought and installed a 1/4" Timberwolf blade from Woodcraft tonight and
so far it performs excellent.

In defense of the top wheel rocking left and right, mine rocked left and
right when the saw was running ultimately causing the blade to move forward
and backwards. I really do not think it is a marketing ploy that is
unfounded. Timberwolf advised me that the wheel should not rock and they
"the rep" was somewhat amazed that a new saw including the 18" Delta would
do this. It was after this that I learned that Laguna and MiniMax both also
recommend a top wheel that does not rock back and forth. Strangely MiniMax
indicates that you really do not need to use guides on a good saw.
That said, IMHO this is probably only a problem if your blade walks around
front to back in the guides.
Good luck with the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
[...]

Seems like an awful lot of machine for such a small blade..... :-)

I've got a 1" TW on mine with a slight vibration. I think this is more to
do with the blade than the saw since everything on the saw seems to be
running smoothly.

When you do put on a bigger blade let us know how it runs/performs.

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Stoutman wrote: snipMr. Laguna states in the DVD that you should not
buy
a band saw if the upper wheel wiggles when grabbed at 3 and 9 o'clock.
I am
convinced now that this is nothing short of a marketing gimmick. snip

Hmm, You may be right. I wonder if Laguna was trying to use gyroscopic
precession as a possible caveat. Tom

My point is that "gyroscopic precision" can be above and beyond what is
required for the machine to run properly.

It's like putting a 5hp motor on a bandsaw and stating "Don't consider
buying a bandsaw unless it has a 5 hp motor".

A 5hp motor isn't necessary and neither is "gyroscopic precision".

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Stoutman wrote:"My point is that "gyroscopic precision" can be above
and beyond what is
required for the machine to run properly."

My
point exactly. As in: "trying to use" gyroscopic precession. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

And not "precision, but "precession", where, when an object is
rotating, and a force is applied at some point, the manifestation of
that force is at 90 degrees to the applied force. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

stoutman wrote:
I have been messing around with my new bandsaw (Rikon 10-345) and fine
tuning the guides and the heavy vibration that I had initially is gone.
Just a gentle hum now. My thrust bearings were set to far forward and they
were trying to push the blade forward as it ran and caused it to vibrate
like a mo fo.

Glad you figured it out. Thanks for the update.. By the way, I hope you
didn't take my posts as crapping on the Rikon. I'm happy with it. I
think it's an excellent value. I could justify buying it for occasional
hobby use, but I couldn't justify a Laguana, even though I'm sure
Laguana is a dream saw.

I just wanted to post some of the down sides of the Rikon in my review,
because before I purchased one, I found nothing but glowing reports on
it in this group. I just wanted to present some of the trade offs.

I think it's a good saw. The fence sucks, but it's a good saw. Totally
awesome for cutting bowl blanks, which is what I use it for 90% of the
time.

Rikin 18" Bandsaw stoutman Woodworking 4 March 30th 06 06:46 PM
Rikon 18" bandsaw fence Keith Woodworking 2 February 15th 06 08:28 PM
My review of the Rikon 18" Bandsaw bf Woodworking 0 February 15th 06 03:10 AM
Owners of the Rikon 18" Bandsaw Leon Woodworking 13 November 7th 05 10:38 PM
mobile base for Rikon 18" bandsaw Creekbuster Woodworking 9 October 31st 05 01:32 PM