Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default New Rikon 18"-er Bandsaw Update

I have been messing around with my new bandsaw (Rikon 10-345) and fine
tuning the guides and the heavy vibration that I had initially is gone.
Just a gentle hum now. My thrust bearings were set to far forward and they
were trying to push the blade forward as it ran and caused it to vibrate
like a mo fo.

This is an awesome machine. I was a little discouraged when I read people
knocking this saw, but I think it does great job.

The top wheel does have a little flex in it when you grab it at 3 and 9
o'clock, but I don't see it effecting the blade at all. I first heard about
this grab at 3 and 9 o'clock from the Laguna video I ordered when I was
considering there saw. Mr. Laguna states in the DVD that you should not buy
a band saw if the upper wheel wiggles when grabbed at 3 and 9 o'clock. I am
convinced now that this is nothing short of a marketing gimmick.

I bought and installed a 1/4" Timberwolf blade from Woodcraft tonight and so
far it performs excellent.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Rikin 18" Bandsaw stoutman Woodworking 4 March 30th 06 06:46 PM
Rikon 18" bandsaw fence Keith Woodworking 2 February 15th 06 08:28 PM
My review of the Rikon 18" Bandsaw bf Woodworking 0 February 15th 06 03:10 AM
Owners of the Rikon 18" Bandsaw Leon Woodworking 13 November 7th 05 10:38 PM
mobile base for Rikon 18" bandsaw Creekbuster Woodworking 9 October 31st 05 01:32 PM