Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Thorsted

Default JET bandsaw update

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:34:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

"eclipsme" wrote in message

I don't have any idea why the saw was designed this way, but I am very
happy with the solution.

Once again, Jet claims they designed the saw this way. Whether or not it is
just an excuse for sloppy casting and assembly, it is apparently a known
problem with those who deal in modern 14" bandsaws. I was warned about it
four or five years ago when I went to upgrade from an older Craftsman.

I can recommend this saw to others, but with
the caveat that you may want to either perform the same modification, or
perhaps shim the bottom wheel out. BTW - tech okeyed shimming, and
promised it wouldn't affect the warranty. I was concerned about the
wheel riding 1/4" further out on the shaft, with added wear. Anyway, I
am now happy with what I have.

And again, shimming the bottom wheel on the Jet is what Louis Iturra of
Iturra Design recommends to overcome Jet's "design" ... everything you
mention is covered in his "catalog", plus much more, and would have saved
you some time.

Now that you've 'rebuilt the wheel' so to speak, and once again, do yourself
a favor and get the Iturra "catalog" ... if you own a 14" Delta, Grizzly, or
Jet, you will learn more about your saw than you know now, even after your
modification.

Does Iturra Design have a website? Cannot find one with a search. If not,
how you get the catalog?