Posted to rec.woodworking
LineVoltageHalogen

Default Is Latex Acrylic Paint Safe for a Baby Cradle?

I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TFD

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"LineVoltageHalogen" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You can certainly get some good advice here, but your best advice is going
to come from the manufacturers as regards infant safety issues.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

"LineVoltageHalogen" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You can certainly get some good advice here, but your best advice is going
to come from the manufacturers as regards infant safety issues.

Well said, Mike.

*tips hat*

Posted to rec.woodworking
DJ Delorie

When my kids were born, I use a special "Kid's Room Paint" for their
edibles. It was advertised for that purpose.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

"LineVoltageHalogen" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You can certainly get some good advice here, but your best advice is going
to come from the manufacturers as regards infant safety issues.

Well said, Mike.

*tips hat*

I agree completely with Mike, Robatoy. No one will be able to give you
a better answer than the manufacturer. To add additional protection to
the finish, if you use a latex finish, you might consider a few coats of
water based polyurethane as well. Very easy to apply and quick drying,
it adds an added layer of durability to the finish. Of course, it would
have to be baby safe as well. I had great success with it on a rocking
horse that I built for my granddaughter. She was past the 'teething'
stage by that time but it added a beautiful finish to the acrylic latex
paint that I used. Congratulations to you and your wife.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LineVoltageHalogen

Thanks to all of you for your valuable input. I will go to Benjamin
Moore's website and see if I can send in my question directly.
Will the water based polyurethane make the cradle really shiny like a
high gloss or can I buy it in different finishes? The paint I want to
use is a semi-gloss, I would like to stay with that finish.

Thanks for your thanks to me and my wife.

Regards, TFD.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"LineVoltageHalogen" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Any finish sold today is going to be lead free. Any finish sold today will
be considered non-toxic when cured. Maybe some are better to eat than
others though, so check with the manufacturer if you want more detailed
information.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TFD

Yes! But why would you want to use Latex. You
want a hard, smooth paint that you can wipe down
with water and disinfectant. That means and oil
paint, probably an enamel. Your best bet for easy
of use and application is probably Krylon spray
paint.

You will get arguments but basically any current
paint is baby safe as soon as it is cured.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Clements

George E. Cawthon wrote:

LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TFD

Yes! But why would you want to use Latex. You
want a hard, smooth paint that you can wipe down
with water and disinfectant. That means and oil
paint, probably an enamel. Your best bet for easy
of use and application is probably Krylon spray
paint.

You will get arguments but basically any current
paint is baby safe as soon as it is cured.

get a latex enamil paint, bear makes one there made for kitchens and
bathrooms easy clean up

--
if corn oil comes from corn,
and olive oil comes from olives
Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

You can get the get water based polyurethanne in the same finishes as
regular oil based polyurethane. I use a lot of Benjamin Moore product
but don't recall if I used Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams coatings on
the rocking horse. I bought the polyurethane in pint cans to avoid
having a lot of leftover material. Consequently, I threw the small
quantitiy of polyurethane that I had remaining out. No doubt either
source will have the water based version available. BTW, unlike oil
based polyurethane, the water based product is somewhat milky looking
in the can but dries absolutely clear.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

I use quite a bit of water-based finishes - both Clear Poly and Colored
'Paint'. I've had good results and learned a few things.

A caveat on H20 based acrylics . . . allow at least 14 DAYS for a 'hard
cure'. Especially if you are using Gloss Enamel.

Also, in the case of anything a baby may get his hands {or other body
parts}on . . . give it at least one 'cover coat' of Clear Gloss Poly. Two
coats would be better. Although this stuff isn't 'UV Protective', it's
almost as impervious as Epoxy. Apply after the 'paint' has cured - the poly
only needs about 24-hours to 'dry'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Richard Clements" wrote in message
.. .
George E. Cawthon wrote:

LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TFD

SNIP