Airkings

Default Alkyd latex paint for basement floor?

I put down 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Alkyd oil-based floor paint on an
unpainted concrete floor in my basement workroom. The high end paint store
in town said its very durable, and they use it in their back room, etc. It
went on smooth, and looks very nice. Its been about 30 hours since the final
coat.

I kind of tested the paint's durability by digging a fingernail in to see
what would happen. I was a bit surprised when it dug in and left a mark.
Then I took a board and scraped it along the paint to test it, and it took
some shavings up.

What's the deal here? Does it need more setting time? Is it not durable to
sharp objects? This is a workroom, so there will be scraping things going
on. Please let me know what the deal is!!

--
x-no-archive: yes

Dave

Joseph Meehan

Airkings wrote:
I put down 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Alkyd oil-based floor paint on an
unpainted concrete floor in my basement workroom. The high end paint
store in town said its very durable, and they use it in their back
room, etc. It went on smooth, and looks very nice. Its been about 30
hours since the final coat.

I kind of tested the paint's durability by digging a fingernail in to
see what would happen. I was a bit surprised when it dug in and left
a mark. Then I took a board and scraped it along the paint to test
it, and it took some shavings up.

What's the deal here? Does it need more setting time? Is it not
durable to sharp objects? This is a workroom, so there will be
scraping things going on. Please let me know what the deal is!!

Did they know you were planning to use it on concrete? Did you follow
the instructions exactly (coverage gal per sq ft)? Does the paint recommend
use on concrete floor?

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Airkings

I think the paint is adhering to the floor just fine. When I referred to
scratching the surface, it's just the top layer basically. It concerns me a
little that I can put a scratch in the paint fairly easily. Maybe it just
needs more cure time.

Thanks for the responses!

Dave

--

"Rich" wrote in message
I guess the first question is what prep on the concrete did you do? Any
etching or priming or just paint on cured concrete? How old is the concrete
as well?

x-no-archive: yes

John Willis

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:36:17 GMT, "Airkings"
scribbled this interesting note:

I think the paint is adhering to the floor just fine. When I referred to
scratching the surface, it's just the top layer basically. It concerns me a
little that I can put a scratch in the paint fairly easily. Maybe it just
needs more cure time.

Thanks for the responses!

Dave

It takes a while for oil based paints to cure. Sure, it may feel dry,
but it is still outgassing and will continure to harded up for days,
if not weeks.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
m Ransley

Oils dont fully cure for 6 mo to 1 year, you will have apx 95% cure in a
month, dont worry.

nospambob

Our painter commented that 3-4 weeks is typical for full cure for oil
based paint.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:53:55 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

Probably takes a week to fully cure but if you really wanted good paint on
concrete 2 part epoxy is the way to go. I guess the high end store did not
carry it.

Norminn

Airkings wrote:
I put down 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Alkyd oil-based floor paint on an
unpainted concrete floor in my basement workroom. The high end paint store
in town said its very durable, and they use it in their back room, etc. It
went on smooth, and looks very nice. Its been about 30 hours since the final
coat.

I kind of tested the paint's durability by digging a fingernail in to see
what would happen. I was a bit surprised when it dug in and left a mark.
Then I took a board and scraped it along the paint to test it, and it took
some shavings up.

What's the deal here? Does it need more setting time? Is it not durable to
sharp objects? This is a workroom, so there will be scraping things going
on. Please let me know what the deal is!!

What's the temperature there? Recommendation on label? Acid prep? Primer?