SamL

Default Varnish or Shellac over Latex Paint

Redoing the family room of a 70's tri-level. We've got a wide inside window
sill and a large recessed cabinet which we've painted in high gloss latex
red, matching the rest of the trim in the room. It's been several weeks and
we're finding that objects still tend to stick to the paint.

Can we harden the surface with a clear varnish or shellac on top of the
paint?

Thanks, Sam

PJx

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:38:32 -0500, "SamL"
wrote:

Redoing the family room of a 70's tri-level. We've got a wide inside window
sill and a large recessed cabinet which we've painted in high gloss latex
red, matching the rest of the trim in the room. It's been several weeks and
we're finding that objects still tend to stick to the paint.

Can we harden the surface with a clear varnish or shellac on top of the
paint?

Thanks, Sam

I'd go with carnuba wax.

PJ

m Ransley

No , let it harden on its own , it takes low humidity and time as red
is mostly pigment, Humid basements may never cure

Pat

I've got latex paint that is 10 years old and still tender.

Next time I am going to use oil paint if its still possible to buy it.

PJx

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 19:16:38 -0800, "Pat"
wrote:

I've got latex paint that is 10 years old and still tender.

Next time I am going to use oil paint if its still possible to buy it.

No, just try the carnuba wax. It takes about 2 minutes to wax a
large surface and it works like a charm and makes the surface slick
and hard. Nothing you set on the surface will even think about
sticking.

Pj

Norminn

SamL wrote:
Redoing the family room of a 70's tri-level. We've got a wide inside window
sill and a large recessed cabinet which we've painted in high gloss latex
red, matching the rest of the trim in the room. It's been several weeks and
we're finding that objects still tend to stick to the paint.

Can we harden the surface with a clear varnish or shellac on top of the
paint?

Thanks, Sam

Is the sticky spot subject to a lot of sunlight? That would be my first
suspect. I would not put varnish or wax on it. If I tried anything, it
would be clearcoat of a similar nature, like water based acryllic. May
be simpler to strip it and repaint. If sun is the culprit, get some
shade. I dislike latex immensely for trim and doors; always use alkyd.
Latex is always "softer".