Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

Default Is Latex Acrylic Paint Safe for a Baby Cradle?

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

"LineVoltageHalogen" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You can certainly get some good advice here, but your best advice is going
to come from the manufacturers as regards infant safety issues.

Well said, Mike.

*tips hat*

I agree completely with Mike, Robatoy. No one will be able to give you
a better answer than the manufacturer. To add additional protection to
the finish, if you use a latex finish, you might consider a few coats of
water based polyurethane as well. Very easy to apply and quick drying,
it adds an added layer of durability to the finish. Of course, it would
have to be baby safe as well. I had great success with it on a rocking
horse that I built for my granddaughter. She was past the 'teething'
stage by that time but it added a beautiful finish to the acrylic latex
paint that I used. Congratulations to you and your wife.