Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

Default Is Latex Acrylic Paint Safe for a Baby Cradle?

I use quite a bit of water-based finishes - both Clear Poly and Colored
'Paint'. I've had good results and learned a few things.

A caveat on H20 based acrylics . . . allow at least 14 DAYS for a 'hard
cure'. Especially if you are using Gloss Enamel.

Also, in the case of anything a baby may get his hands {or other body
parts}on . . . give it at least one 'cover coat' of Clear Gloss Poly. Two
coats would be better. Although this stuff isn't 'UV Protective', it's
almost as impervious as Epoxy. Apply after the 'paint' has cured - the poly
only needs about 24-hours to 'dry'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Richard Clements" wrote in message
.. .
George E. Cawthon wrote:

LineVoltageHalogen wrote:
I am making a baby cradle for my first born (coming in June) and I am
using Poplar for its strength. My wife wants it painted white and I
was wondering if standard beny moore acrylic is ok to use? My concerns
are for the baby and if he starts chewing on the wood etc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TFD

SNIP