Posted to rec.woodworking
Chas12

Default Attach silestone?

Hi Group, I am adding 2 24" cabinets to each side of our stove, with
silestone counters. Since they will not be large like a long run of
cabinets, I don't think I can just depend on weight to hold the tops in
place. Anyone know how to fasten the counter? They will both be in a
'corner' as well.
thanks,
chas

Posted to rec.woodworking
TWS

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:06:47 -0500, "Chas12"
wrote:

Hi Group, I am adding 2 24" cabinets to each side of our stove, with
silestone counters. Since they will not be large like a long run of
cabinets, I don't think I can just depend on weight to hold the tops in
place. Anyone know how to fasten the counter? They will both be in a
'corner' as well.
thanks,
chas

The weight will keep it down, construction glue will keep it from
shifting.

Things to watch out for: Make sure that joints are well supported on
both sides by the SAME support. I have a slight drop in mine where
the joint was positioned over a corner cabinet and one side was not
adequately supported.

TWS
Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

The weight will keep it down, construction glue will keep it from
shifting.

My granite is held in place with silicone caulk. I would opt for the
silicone over construction adhesive only because it would hold perfectly
well, but could be cut free if you really had to. Undoing construction
adhesive without applying stesses that would crack silestone would be
difficult.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

PING for Robatoy, now known as "r".

He is a solid surface guy, but I'll bet this is certainly in his field
of expertise.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article , "Chas12" wrote:

Hi Group, I am adding 2 24" cabinets to each side of our stove, with
silestone counters. Since they will not be large like a long run of
cabinets, I don't think I can just depend on weight to hold the tops in
place. Anyone know how to fasten the counter? They will both be in a
'corner' as well.
thanks,
chas

*tips hat to Robert (nailshooter)* Thank you for the vote of confidence.

If the Silestone sections are small, flip them over and clean the bottom with
methyl hydrate. Then, place a healthy blob of silicone II (GE) on each corner
of the cabinet. Gently lower the Silestone straight down..DO NOT slide
sideways/shift. DO NOT push down. Allow the slab to find it's own comfy level.
Go away for 12 hours.

When the silicone sets, it will prevent the top from sliding and the viscosity
of the silicone will go to work as a 'leveller', making up for any 'unevenesses'
(one of my guys used to use that word, it kinda stuck.)

For the engineered stone fans, check out Hanstone. Gorgeous colours, one price.
Same formula as Zodiaq, Silestone, Cambria = 93% Quartz 7% Acrylic binder.
or
click on the Hanstone button on my website http://www.topworks.ca

How is THAT for a shameless plug, eh?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerry

I bought a silestone vanity top last year. The vendor,
www.e-counters.com, supplied a silicon cauking. Layed a bead of that
around the base and set the top on that. Solid as a rock.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Stephen M" wrote:

I would opt for the
silicone over construction adhesive only because it would hold perfectly
well, but could be cut free if you really had to.

A very good point. You also don't want the bond between cabinets and
acrylic-type countertops to be too tough as expansion and contraction
can cause some grief.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chas12

Thanks everyone, I have used silicone as a 'gasket' and vibration damper
many times before, so it's a great idea.
Chas

Posted to rec.woodworking
skeezics

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:13:21 -0500, Robatoy
wrote:

In article , "Chas12" wrote:

[...]

thanks for the heads up. we have been looking at silestone but SWMBO
cant decide on a color. think african mahogany nateral clear finish
and white appliances. suggestions? for the last few months it has been
chip board tops with contac paper of every color under the sun!!!! she
gets a diferent color nearly every week. im a little tired of seeing
my nice work covered with contac paper! maybe in a year or two she
will find a color she likes. lmao..gotta love her but i would realy
like to finnish this kitchen. sorry bout the rambling on.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
skeezics wrote:

[snipperized for brevity]

thanks for the heads up. we have been looking at silestone but SWMBO
cant decide on a color. think african mahogany nateral clear finish
and white appliances. suggestions?

My normal suggestions include the pitfalls of the darker colours, the
'hard-to-keep-clean' of the very light, solid colours....and above
all...stay away from the really trendy colours. Too much colour forces
one into having to decorate around it for the next umpteen years.

Any of these countertops are a lot of money, so appreciate what your
wife is doing. But to get locked in to Hunter Green, for example, will
be asking for disappointment down the road. It will show fingerprints,
like all the dark ones, and what other colours go with Hunter Green?

There are plenty of natural colours available, in the earth tones and
greys/platinums.

Then there is the colour "Festival", which looks like somebody threw up
Smarties into a bucket of curdled milk.

Posted to rec.woodworking
skeezics

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:42:55 -0500, Robatoy
wrote:

In article ,
skeezics wrote:

[snipperized for brevity]

[...]

lmao!!!! she is leaning towards light colors sooo...... guess i will
find out when she makes up her mind. thanks for clearing up some q's
though. i had not thought about fingerprints and such when leaning
toward dark colors.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chas12

We have the silestone color called Blue Sahara. It's terrific, and so
multicolored that nothing shows.
Chas

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Chas12" wrote:

We have the silestone color called Blue Sahara. It's terrific, and so
multicolored that nothing shows.
Chas

Truly a fabulous colour. I sell it often. I'd go as far as saying that
it's Silestone's only hit.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chas12

Gee, thanks, I have to give the previous owner credit for designing the
kitchen, but it is beautiful.
Chas.
"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Chas12" wrote:

We have the silestone color called Blue Sahara. It's terrific, and so
multicolored that nothing shows.
Chas

Truly a fabulous colour. I sell it often. I'd go as far as saying that
it's Silestone's only hit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
skeezics wrote:

[snipperized for brevity [and again]]
Then there is the colour "Festival", which looks like somebody threw up
Smarties into a bucket of curdled milk.

Long ago, Maggie and I gave up designer stuff for "stain colored" stuff
like rugs and counter tops. We have the **** brindle green burble
silestone counter tops in the kitchen and it is working well. We swamp
it down as needed and napalm it a couple times a year whether it needs
it or not.
housekeeper,
jo4hn