Posted to rec.woodworking
gov

Default Rough Cut Lumber

I'm new to this group so please be patient if this has been covered.
I'm looking into purchasing a molder/planer. The biggest project is
for casing/base molding. I see rough cut lumber that is all 4/4 or
thicker. Where do I go to find 1/2 to 5/8" lumber or is most of this
cut from 4/4. Seems like a lot of waste both lumber and money.

Thanks in advance.

TIM

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

If you have a bandsaw, you can resaw 5/4 lumber down to 1/2" or so. If
it's fairly narrow ( 6"), you can do it on a table saw with several
passes and a good rip blade, but it's a huge pain. Bigger kerf, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Josh" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have a bandsaw, you can resaw 5/4 lumber down to 1/2" or so. If
it's fairly narrow ( 6"), you can do it on a table saw with several
passes and a good rip blade, but it's a huge pain. Bigger kerf, too.

I've cut a lot of 1/2" from 5/4 on my tablesaw. It is not all that much
trouble.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"gov" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new to this group so please be patient if this has been covered.
I'm looking into purchasing a molder/planer. The biggest project is
for casing/base molding. I see rough cut lumber that is all 4/4 or
thicker. Where do I go to find 1/2 to 5/8" lumber or is most of this
cut from 4/4. Seems like a lot of waste both lumber and money.

You're right, it is a waste of wood, but when someone else does it, it's
your money anyway, so they just include the cost in with the value added.

Others have covered the alternatives. You can resaw or use the extra
thickness as an attached shoe molding by choosing your shaper profile
carefully. It may not conform as well to irregularities in the wall, but
nobody looks there anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:
"gov" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new to this group so please be patient if this has been covered.
I'm looking into purchasing a molder/planer. The biggest project is
for casing/base molding. I see rough cut lumber that is all 4/4 or
thicker. Where do I go to find 1/2 to 5/8" lumber or is most of this
cut from 4/4. Seems like a lot of waste both lumber and money.

You're right, it is a waste of wood, but when someone else does it, it's
your money anyway, so they just include the cost in with the value added.

Others have covered the alternatives. You can resaw or use the extra
thickness as an attached shoe molding by choosing your shaper profile
carefully. It may not conform as well to irregularities in the wall, but
nobody looks there anyway.

Thanks to those who have responded. Does anyone know if they cut
boards in 1/2 or 5/8 or even 3/4? Otherwise the alternative is to rip
these boards down or waste the lumber.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks to those who have responded. Does anyone know if they cut
boards in 1/2 or 5/8 or even 3/4? Otherwise the alternative is to rip
these boards down or waste the lumber.

Rarely, if ever. Cutting below 3/4" - planes to ~1/2" - starts to get
expensive when you figure the extra waste from saw kerfs so close together.
Not as bad now as the IC circular saws that took a quarter inch, but bad
enough. You start to get squirm problems and possible splitting of the
board from its own weight if you go below that.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jack

checkout woodmastertools.com for a four in one molder/planer, even has a
curved molding setup. Very nice machine.....
wrote in message
oups.com...

George wrote:
"gov" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"gov" wrote:
I'm new to this group so please be patient if this has been covered.
I'm looking into purchasing a molder/planer. The biggest project is
for casing/base molding. I see rough cut lumber that is all 4/4 or
thicker. Where do I go to find 1/2 to 5/8" lumber or is most of this
cut from 4/4. Seems like a lot of waste both lumber and money.

Thanks in advance.

TIM

Rough cut lumber is sold as 4/4 minimun. which is 1 1/16" to 1 1/8"
So even if you bought 2/4, you are charged for 4/4 plus machining.
This is why resawing is so popular for the hobbiest IMO