Posted to rec.woodworking
jack

Default Rough Cut Lumber

checkout woodmastertools.com for a four in one molder/planer, even has a
curved molding setup. Very nice machine.....
wrote in message
oups.com...

George wrote:
"gov" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new to this group so please be patient if this has been covered.
I'm looking into purchasing a molder/planer. The biggest project is
for casing/base molding. I see rough cut lumber that is all 4/4 or
thicker. Where do I go to find 1/2 to 5/8" lumber or is most of this
cut from 4/4. Seems like a lot of waste both lumber and money.

You're right, it is a waste of wood, but when someone else does it, it's
your money anyway, so they just include the cost in with the value added.

Others have covered the alternatives. You can resaw or use the extra
thickness as an attached shoe molding by choosing your shaper profile
carefully. It may not conform as well to irregularities in the wall, but
nobody looks there anyway.

Thanks to those who have responded. Does anyone know if they cut
boards in 1/2 or 5/8 or even 3/4? Otherwise the alternative is to rip
these boards down or waste the lumber.

Thanks