Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Flattening Rough Sawn Lumber With A Planer

A few weeks ago I had inquired about a sled for a planer to flatten rough
sawn stock with a planer. A poster was gracious enough to send me copies of
the FWW plans and article. Since then I have received my new Delta 15"
planer with the deluxe stand that has the 4 roller in feed and 4 roller out
feed tables.

I built the sled almost exactly as the instructions call for except I made
the sled 8' long instead of 5' long. I can say that I am quite pleased with
the results that I am getting when flattening 100-102" boards. It is not as
easy as simply feeding the board through the planer as you need to make sure
that you do not let the board move around on the sled while carrying it from
the out feed side back to the in feed side. The adhesive backed tape that
you put on stair steps to prevent slipping, added to the adjustable
supports, hold the board quite well. Plus there is the weight
consideration. The sled at least doubles the weight of the board that you
feeding into the planer and it is best to take lighter passes until you
have the top side flattened. AND those Oak boards that I usually buy that
come 13/16" thick have now grown to almost 5/4 in thickness. Typically the
4/4 rough sawn Oak that I purchased is a minimum of 1-1/8" thick so these
boards are almost 40% heavier than the s3s stock I have been buying. The
big plus side is that I am getting at least 7/8" thick stock surfaced on
both sides.
So having boards coming out of the planer flat enough that I can straighten
the edges on the TS with another jig with no burning of the edge caused by
the stock rocking, I can say that I am quite happy with the sled. 6 boards
behind me and 40 to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

So having boards coming out of the planer flat enough that I can straighten
the edges on the TS with another jig with no burning of the edge caused by
the stock rocking, I can say that I am quite happy with the sled.

40 more to go? Must be some big footlocker you're building. *G*

With those massive in/out-feed rollers, you basically have built yourself an
up-side down 15" jointer. What a great application of a great device. Nice to
have all those ponies at your disposal, eh?
A couple of these will be very helpful as well, Leon:
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=293&ID=11829
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message

40 more to go? Must be some big footlocker you're building. *G*

Firewood. I dont like to get splinters in my hands while feeding the
fireplace. :~)
Actually I thought that the first test piece would end up being firewood.
Fortunately it ended up being used in a small job that I am about to
complete.

With those massive in/out-feed rollers, you basically have built yourself
an
up-side down 15" jointer.

Yeah! I was shopping bigger jointers and thought the sled would save a load
of money to buy more wood with.

What a great application of a great device. Nice to
have all those ponies at your disposal, eh?

The extra HP is wonderful. I had 3 bords glued up to for a 15" wide panel
for the above mentioned project. That panel just fit in the planer. You
know, even with a very shallow cut you get a heap of saw dust when you run
15" through.
As you mentioned, the planer is MUCH quieter. I can actually tolerate
running it with out hearing protection although I did this just for
compairison.

A couple of these will be very helpful as well, Leon:
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=293&ID=11829

Yeah. that looks pretty cool. It looks like it collapses down to a very
small space. I actually did end up buying a Craftsman roller stand for $15.
I could not go wrong and it works fine. When taking the sled from the out
feed end to the in feed end I have to set it down so that I can adjust the
cutting depth for the next pass. I was setting it down on a work table,
adjusting, picking the sled up and going back to the planer. Now I can
simply set it down on the in feed side of the planer planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
skeezics

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 05:43:27 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

[...]

might you be so graciouse as to pass those plans along? i just got my
new 20" planer set up and a nice sled may be in order soon.. the addy
is fartntouchit at hotmail dot com.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"skeezics" wrote in message

might you be so graciouse as to pass those plans along?

Likewise, if you can do it comfortably ... you should have the e-mail
address.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

You
know, even with a very shallow cut you get a heap of saw dust when you run
15" through.

When dressing lumber, I would disconnect the DC from that puppy and just
let'r fly. A broom and a bunch of garbage bags were MUCH quicker than
undoing the DC and all that rot.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"skeezics" wrote in message

thanks leon.

Ditto ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Glad it work for you too Leon. Did you make your own torsion box or use
a door?

Later,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Jacobs

"skeezics" wrote in message

might you be so graciouse as to pass those plans along?

If it's not too much of a bother, I'd like to get a set of those plans as
well.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

You
know, even with a very shallow cut you get a heap of saw dust when you
run
15" through.

When dressing lumber, I would disconnect the DC from that puppy and just
let'r fly. A broom and a bunch of garbage bags were MUCH quicker than
undoing the DC and all that rot.

Umm My dust collector stays unconnected all of the time. I do not use one
yet. I figure until I can afford the space for a large one that a small one
may be more work.
I see that your advice parallels my thinking. Thanks for the back up
thinking.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"hylourgos" wrote in message
oups.com...
Glad it work for you too Leon. Did you make your own torsion box or use
a door?

Later,

Yes it works great and thanks again for the plans. I strongly considered
the door but ended up building the heavier torsion box. I am almost always
flattening 8' or a bit longer boards and felt that the extra 16 or so inches
in length would be beneficial.

Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen

Hello Leon,
Would could you please send a copy of those plans here too? Can you
also reference which issue of FWW it appeared in? Thanks,
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Robatoy" wrote in message
When dressing lumber, I would disconnect the DC from that puppy and just
let'r fly. A broom and a bunch of garbage bags were MUCH quicker than
undoing the DC and all that rot.

Umm My dust collector stays unconnected all of the time. I do not use one
yet. I figure until I can afford the space for a large one that a small
one may be more work.
I see that your advice parallels my thinking. Thanks for the back up
thinking.

You're going to end up with chip impressions rolled in your stock if you're
not careful. Worse, depending on climate, you could end up with static
cling on the shavings that will force you to have someone on the outfeed
side with a stick to dislodge the mess. Never plane white cedar in the
winter!

Get the trashcan stage and let the air be your stick. MUCH better option.
Doesn't take much, you know. Mine's a 450 CFM rated and does famously.

Posted to rec.woodworking
joe

Ihave a powermatic 15" planer with four infeed and outfeed roller. BE
VERY CAREFUL ON THE OUTFEED SIDE. I foolishly dropped something and
put my hand on one of the rollers as i bent over to pick up the wood
and the wood i was planing hit my finges and fortunately i was able to
pull them out without breaking or losing one of them. I have sinced
changed to a solid cast set of tables. joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"George" George@least wrote in message

You're going to end up with chip impressions rolled in your stock if
you're not careful.

I have not had a problem with the impessions since buying a planer 1989 and
have not had a problem with that with the new Delta planer. I did have once
instance however with the impressions with my first board in the new palner
as the collector with the 4" hole in it for the hose that connects to a dust
collector was not permitting the shavings to flow freely. I removed that
adapter and the shavings now flow freely out of the planer and the problem
has been cured.

Worse, depending on climate, you could end up with static
cling on the shavings that will force you to have someone on the outfeed
side with a stick to dislodge the mess.

That was the problem with having the collector adapter on there with no
dusto collector. With out the adapter there is no problem.

Never plane white cedar in the
winter!

Get the trashcan stage and let the air be your stick. MUCH better option.
Doesn't take much, you know. Mine's a 450 CFM rated and does famously.

I am not so concerned about the CFM volume as the storage capacity of the
dust collector. My trash container will hold 4 to 5 times the storage
capacity of most small collector bags. IIRC it is 80 gallons. It is not
unusual for me to have a pile of saw dust that would fill the typical 30
gallon trash can 2 or 3 times in one usage.
I have played with the idea of sending the saw dust straight into the 80
gallon trash can but getting a good seal on a square and uneven edged can
may present a problem. So far I am still more in favor of sweeping up a
large pile of saw dust than emptying a trash can or collector bag 2 to 4
times during a particular run.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ihave a powermatic 15" planer with four infeed and outfeed roller. BE
VERY CAREFUL ON THE OUTFEED SIDE. I foolishly dropped something and
put my hand on one of the rollers as i bent over to pick up the wood
and the wood i was planing hit my finges and fortunately i was able to
pull them out without breaking or losing one of them. I have sinced
changed to a solid cast set of tables. joe

Thanks for the warning but I already had that in mind when shopping. The
Delta in feed and out feed tables are actually steel tables with 4 slots cut
into them just large enough for the rollers to protrude through. The
largest gap any where in the tables is about 1/8" wide.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Leon (in ) said:

snip

| So far I am still more in
| favor of sweeping up a large pile of saw dust than emptying a trash
| can or collector bag 2 to 4 times during a particular run.

I keep an old snow shovel handy - the large aluminum blade makes
cleanup quick and easy.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Leon (in ) said:

snip

| So far I am still more in
| favor of sweeping up a large pile of saw dust than emptying a trash
| can or collector bag 2 to 4 times during a particular run.

I keep an old snow shovel handy - the large aluminum blade makes
cleanup quick and easy.

Darn it Morris, my dad and I share a plastic construction clean up shovel
that measures about 20 x24 and I just bought a large HD aluminum dust pan
Saturday. Why did you go and remind me to use a shovel. LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Er yuh giben me pernissin to e-mail uh JT. LOL

Its in its way.

"J T" wrote in message
Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 4:30pm (Mark Jacobs) also asketh:
If it's not too much of a bother, I'd like to get a set of those plans
as well.

Might's well put me on the list too.

Might wind up easer just posting them.

JOAT
If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about
Hilary Clinton.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"J T" wrote in message

Once I figured out the pictures were just upside down, I turned my
screen back right-side-up, and printed them out, to look at them -
worked much better that way.

Jeeez, all that trouble for nothing ... next time just rotate the printer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"J T" wrote in message

And, I didn't even send a nasty reply. LOL Thanks. For some
reason in some of the pictures, they guy was hanging from the ceiling.
Once I figured out the pictures were just upside down, I turned my
screen back right-side-up, and printed them out, to look at them -
worked much better that way. Looks like I can use a feature or two.
Thanks.

Huh... You turned you monitor over to see the pictures right side up and
silly me stood on my head. :~)

Perhaps that adhesive backed stair step material looks a little simpler now.
The trick is to stick all the wood pieces down on the tape next to each
other and then cut them apart with a utility knife.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
"J T" wrote in message

Once I figured out the pictures were just upside down, I turned my
screen back right-side-up, and printed them out, to look at them -
worked much better that way.

Jeeez, all that trouble for nothing ... next time just rotate the printer.

Naw just put the paper in backwards.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Trace Wilson

If you can see your way to it, I'd love a copy of the plans as well!!!

Trace Wilson

traceDOTwilsonATtracewisonDOTcom